Sit N Go Super turbo losses

• ptortoise
      ptortoise
      Bronze
      I started on this site with the basic/bronze sit n go lessons and short stack strategy.

I started at full tilt on the $1 + 0.10 super turbo sit n go's. (start with 300 chips, 3 min blinds)

At first i was pretty even win/loss ratio and earned around 200 fulltilt points, maintaining my balance at $45-55.
      (some was on rush poker,)
      Then something went horribly wrong. I went on a losing streak taking my bankroll down to around$25. I need to turn it round.

The problem was I was going all in on certain starting hands, following card charts in the handouts, then getting beat by lesser starting hands. Maybe just a bad luck streak. But i am following the sit n go handout. Its the all ins that keep losing me the whole game. The worst one was when me and the guy next to me both ended up all in before the flop both having AA, some other guy took the pot with a set of 5's. The times ive lost with pocket A's by going all in before the flop (after initial raise).

I have adjusted my play to save a few chips if poss, and several times i have climbed back up from 20 or 30 chips i saved. I also stay very tight until im down to 1 or 2 blinds, due to the short stacks. Im also trying to avoid going all in against bigger stacks. My game is better although im still falling very slowly/staying the same.

Do we have some specific training for full tilt super turbo 9 handed $1+0.10?

Can anyone give me some tips here?
  • 6 replies
    • PokerAddict36
      PokerAddict36
      Bronze
      If you play superturbo`s your ICM play (push or fold) should be perfect or you will be losing money. So use the ICM trainer to improve.

Quote:
      I also stay very tight until im down to 1 or 2 blinds, due to the short stacks.

Not good, never let yourself get blinded out, from the start play push or fold.

I think you are better off playing normal SNG because seems to me you dont understand enough of the basics.

Addict
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      super turbos sngs are a high variance game . i would suggest u at least 100 bi rule for those .also i dont think there are any super turbo articles for bronze members ( i think there are no super turbo articles at all)
      My tip is to play normal sngs which are really soft (but takes much time) until u have the bankroll to test the super turbo sngs.
      Now if u insist on super turbos u have to know that u have to adjust your ranges and do some sng icm training.
    • ptortoise
      ptortoise
      Bronze
      Thank you both for advice. I will run through the icm trainer a couple more times to make sure i have it right. Ill also take your advice and play the normal (longer) sit n go's.

I think i wanted to play turbo sit n go's because i placed in my first 3 games at it, and stayed around $50 for many games. maybe it was beginners luck.

I do actually only push or fold so i have that part right.

I Hope my questions are not stupid. I had only ever played with play money before i joined this site.

On the plus side, i have won around £1 from 2 freerolls on pokerstars, then turned that pound into £2.50 on 1/2 FLHE today. So now i have a small pokerstars bankroll too:) So i must have learned something:)

Thanks again.
    • GustoMaina
      GustoMaina
      Bronze
      If you play perfect Super Turbo 1-table SNG, don't expect to have more than 1-3% ROI. If you are looking for a higher ROI try MT Super Turbos. There are some 54 players Super Turbos on FTP. A tournament lenght avareges 21-24 minutes and if you play them well you can get about 10-15% ROI. I suggest you having at least 100 BI, which at the lowest stakes is $270.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GustoMaina
      If you play perfect Super Turbo 1-table SNG, don't expect to have more than 1-3% ROI. If you are looking for a higher ROI try MT Super Turbos. There are some 54 players Super Turbos on FTP. A tournament lenght avareges 21-24 minutes and if you play them well you can get about 10-15% ROI. I suggest you having at least 100 BI, which at the lowest stakes is $270.
      Hmm, I think that for the 54 man super turbos, you should probably have between 150-200BI as you should have at least 100BI for STTs... I mean the variance at STTs is already sick enough, at MTTs it's even higher and with 100BI only you're just asking to lose all your money, but that is my personal opinion ;) . I would advise to a beginner to stay away from turbos and super turbos until you master the ICM though, it is the best way of avoiding going broke :) .
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      What Primzi said.

I don't see the point in playing Turbos and super turbos when you are still learning the game. You are only asking for high variance to smack you about playing these. I myself have never seen the attraction to playing where it's push or fold every hand, it encourages to many idiots to play and outdraw you all to often when you go in ahead. Good practice to ICM but not a lot else. Stick to the normal STT's IMO that way you'll also gain some outlook on playing with larger stacks and smaller blinds, without having to get to push and fold stages so quickly.

There is nothing better than knocking a couple of people out in the starting stages then controlling the table with the chip lead. Table control and big stack management is as important as the ICM training IMO. But then I am a cash player so my opinion probably doesn't rate that well.