Best way to find leaks?

• Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Hi all, I currently play NL2 on PartyPoker (Looking to switch to either FTP or PS, on that note, which is easier to beat (I can't get RB on FT btw)). Although I do analyse my sessions and my big winning and losing hands, I want to improve my game by finding leaks.

I have PT3 and I know you can find leaks in your game by using filters and such to find where you are losing the most money, but I do find the amount of options in the filters slightly overwhelming. I was just wondering what sort of filters people use to find their leaks.

Thanks.
  • 4 replies
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Hi all, I currently play NL2 on PartyPoker (Looking to switch to either FTP or PS, on that note, which is easier to beat (I can't get RB on FT btw)). Although I do analyse my sessions and my big winning and losing hands, I want to improve my game by finding leaks.

I have PT3 and I know you can find leaks in your game by using filters and such to find where you are losing the most money, but I do find the amount of options in the filters slightly overwhelming. I was just wondering what sort of filters people use to find their leaks.

Thanks.
      I'm by no means a PT3 expert but all I do is click the hands tab and arrange by whatever, money won\lost, alphabetical... Doesn't matter -select a starting hand and go through the hands at the bottom to look for anything unusual to replay in full.

The trick for me is not looking at big obvious hands... I look at the marginal starting hands more than anything else with a low win % - I'll take a look at all times I've played it and see if I can raise that win rate or gain more value from somewhere. If you just improve your results for your 10 worst (but playable) starting hands by 1 or 2% winning percentage it will show a fair bit of profit in your long term results.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      don't forget to try the following:

sort hands by position winnings

facing vs 3bet

vs 4bet

vs utg limp

check your $WWSF stat. if its below 50 your calling river bets too much and need to tighten up a little pre, and find a few more spots to fold pre river.

my standard advice for NL2 is:

don't deviate from ABC poker unless ur against profitable regs, and adjusting would increase your edge.

don't balance your range, since there is no need at that stake imo.

Micro limit is about exploiting your opponents mistakes. Playing a tight strategy that aims to minimize the effects of your own leaks, and exploits the leaks of others is the soundest path to profit at micro stakes.

turn autopilot for KJ and QJ type hands off. theres an article on it here, I suggest reading it as its a common leak for micro players.

also another idea would be to get a copy of pokerstove ( google it, its free)

get a feel for what hands hold equity best against standard ranges eg:

vs 12-15% ( tag range)
      vs anything up to 30% (stationey)
      vs 35%+

eg you would be amazed how muck equity K3o has over QJ - K3o 54% vs 46%!

also check out T8s vs A3

these are useful hands to increase your stealing range from late pos etc. again, read the articles and use it as a framework.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I feel like the best way to find leaks is actually searching for them.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Thanks for that conall :) Very useful indeed, I have already learned to not value hands like KJ or QJ from anywhere but CO or BU :)

NightFrosta, that is what i'm trying to find out, I know a lot of people use PT3's filter option to find where they are losing and winning money to allow them to plug leaks, but I find the amount of options on these filters overwhelming, so I was asking which of these options in the filters were the most useful for finding leaks.