How tight.

• JamieFinch
      JamieFinch
      Bronze
      So I just entered a freeroll, I am out already.

I was dealt a KQo. the Q was a heart.

Nobody raised and I checked (I was BB). The flop gave three hearts, one of which was an ace. This was my first hand in the tournament.

Thinking that the chances of another player having the K of hearts was very very slim, and knowing that their are many fishes at such early levels. I went all in thinking that I had a made and winning hand already.

Villain had the K of hearts.

Did I make the wrong decision or was I just unlucky? (I bet villain's eyes lit up when he saw my pot go in)
  • 9 replies
    • JamieFinch
      JamieFinch
      Bronze
      Sorry.

The 5th heart came down on the turn. I did not go all in until then.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      no this is a simple situation were you didnt make the wrong or the right play ... you werent unlucky but that poker you cant always have the best hand you just got to bounce on to the next hand
      good luck
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      What was in the pot?

If you shoved 1480 into a 100 pot on the turn then you made an awful play. Actually even if the pot is 1000 or something you should still check the turn for bluff induce and value bet the river. 3 possibilities in this situation really

1: Someone has the Kh and is slowplaying. If this is the case then you want to check since he is never folding and you have no outs to win.

2: Someone has the Jh. They will have a hard time calling a turn shove since Qh or Kh beat them. They may call anyways but if this is the case you can still get all the money on the river by making a ridiculous bet that looks like a bluff. You have the hand locked up in this case so checking is still best.

3: No one has anything. If you bet they will all fold but if you check they might try to bluff. Who knows how stupid people can be in a freeroll? Still check.

If the pot is 100 then you should be playing for pot control here. Still you want to try to get a bit of value out of the second nuts but it is too likely for the Kh to be out there for you to stack off. Getting one bet in the pot is great. 2 bets not so much.
    • JamieFinch
      JamieFinch
      Bronze
      In hindsight, the pot wasn't worth the risk. Only I was convinced that I must have had the winning hand.

Oh well, I might have lost the game but the experience is no doubt much more valuable.
    • Vempele
      Vempele
      Bronze
      Did I make the wrong decision or was I just unlucky?
      "Yeah, that was about as unlucky as a guy can get, all right." http://pokergrump.blogspot.com/2007/08/irony-poker-story-in-4-parts-non-grumpy.html
    • vladul11
      vladul11
      Global
      Originally posted by Vempele
      "Yeah, that was about as unlucky as a guy can get, all right." http://pokergrump.blogspot.com/2007/08/irony-poker-story-in-4-parts-non-grumpy.html
      Lol. Nice story there
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      So i just entered a freeroll

stopped reading
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Originally posted by Vempele
      Am i the only one getting the feeling that the blog author's IQ is somewhere in the mid 80s?

?
    • JamieFinch
      JamieFinch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      So i just entered a freeroll

stopped reading
      Why, could you not bend down enough from you pedal stool to focus enough? Why even bother to comment at all?

My apologies for biting mods. It's just I thought that educating noobs and educating them until they are no longer noobs, rather than vilifying them, was pretty much the purpose of this forum.