Hi-dilly-ho Neighbors!

• Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Hello one and all,

I'm new to this poker world, so keep an eye out for my name on Full Tilt and Party Poker and you can have some of my chips ;-)

If anyone can recommend some decent articles for me to read I'll be more than grateful - I'm going to begin with the Jennifear bunch that everyone goes on about. Also, I've noticed that she's not written since 2009, anyone know the reason for this?

Well that's my overlong introduction. Looking forward to seeing you at the table - and then at the rail ;-)
      :s_confused:
  • 6 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hi Helipacter and welcome to PokerStrategy!

Pokerstrategy offers a wide range of free learning material to you, such as strategy guides, free professional live coaching sessions, strategy videos and sample hands forums, along with the $50 starting capital and first deposit bonuses. We will help you to develop your game and attempt to give you the best possible chance of playing profitable poker.
      Take your time to browse the various different benefits of your free membership here:

We also have a very active and friendly community here with lots of hugely experienced members who are keen to pass on their thoughts, expertise and experience to fellow members.

As for the articles, you did not mention which poker style you play. Pokerstrategy provides an excellent collection of bronze articles that will make your game profitable :) .

I wish you all the luck at playing poker, and most importantly, to enjoy it ;) . I am looking forward to seeing you active within the forums soon :) .

Best regards,

Primzi
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Hi Primzi,

Thanks for the info. Without doubt this is the best site I've seen for a beginner like me - oh, and the $50 sign up bonus is already at Party Poker!

For a fish -let's not beat about the bush here, I ams what I ams- I'd say that I'm fairly tight aggressive (when compared solely with my other fishy brethren of course!!). I'm selective with what hands I play in early and mid positions; but when I consider to be the best hand I get as much into the pot as I can. Obviously I'm seeing this with my Donk glasses, but this is how I play.

A few of the articles & videos I've been looking at here are really good, and the handouts are really useful. I'm itching to get more SP and unlock the higher ones. The software is also great as well, though the ICM trainer is a little daunting for me at present - I go for intuition rather than calculating odds and outs, as I'm not 100% on the EV process just yet.

If you, or anyone else, can recommend anything that will help me with the calculation process (pot odds is pure maths, but I'm tripping myself up on calculating the outs, I sometimes overlook a potential hand or something) I would be incredibly grateful!

Thanks again for reading.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

Again, I'm not sure which poker style you are referring to. ICM is strictly for sit'n'gos (and MTTs), you cannot apply it in cash game. ICM is a bit more complex, but you can learn it with a lot of practise. As for the odds and outs, the concept is rather simple - you do not need to be a maths nerd to understand it :) . I believe that the explanations for it in the articles are good and simple. If the concept is still too hard, there are a number of charts in the articles which you can download and have in the background and print out and have them on the desk :) .

Best regards,

Primzi
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Sorry, the lingo is still new to me. I play single table Sit n Gos at the moment (not turbo).

Do you have any articles that you can recommend at all??

Thanks again...
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      All the articles in the sit n go section are good to get you started, and the ICM trainer ofc is a must. If you feel you have an hour to spare a video is always good too. Cheers!
    • cjchalmers
      cjchalmers
      Silver
      hey man a friendly hello and best of luck from glasgow scotland.

I'll let you in on a little secret... Play the rocky theme tune in your head while you play and occasionally punch the air when you scoop a pot....

Also the deeper you get the louder it go's... dun ....DUN, DUN, DUHHHHHHHHHH

anyway i'm typically scottish and typically talking "pish"

once again best of luck and raise that game!!!!!

:spade: :s_cool: :spade: