11/10 imo
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      #3 alltime on IMDB
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Didn't see it yet, probably won't see it soon if ihufa likes it.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      fu minraiser!
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Great film, after first thinking it was reality I decided upon a dream, to then change my mind after reviewing it. Imo it is definitely reality.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      downloading it as we speak, hopefully i'l get watching it tomorrow :)
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fusionpk
      Great film, after first thinking it was reality I decided upon a dream, to then change my mind after reviewing it. Imo it is definitely reality.
      SPOILER ALERT ALERT ALERT

I like the idea that the whole movie is a dream...
    • SickAtHome
      SickAtHome
      Bronze
      total mindf*ck
      in a good way ofc
    • Reanimater
      Reanimater
      Bronze
      best movie evarrr

looking forward to getting an extended release on bluray :)
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Fucking awesome movie. This guy makes the sickest films this century. 10/10
    • royalbulet
      royalbulet
      Bronze
      Impressive movie , and most of what they say is true. Rly like it and worht every cent at the theatre. :)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      good movie imo
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by royalbulet
      Impressive movie , and most of what they say is true.
      like what? 3 of the facts they base the entire movie on (5 minutes = 1hr in a dream; somehow that applies for a dream within a dream; you can only wake up if you die in the dream or get a kick) are completely false. Well actually, I can accept that last point if it's because of the machines they're hooked up to, or something else they don't mention. Overall I thought the movie was way too 'hollywoodized', and way less good than I expected after all the good things I heard about it.

That said, and even if the idea isn't exactly original, the story is interesting; I especially like the theory that the entire movie is just a dream (here's a very good post about it (#35))
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      to me it always seemed like an hour of dreaming equals an hour in the dream itself, and you just simply can't rush the dream to get to the interesting part even if you're half awake and try to.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      perspnally i thought it was ok, maybe 6/10 and i hated the ending
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      I haven't seen it yet, but surely plan too.

Heard a lot of good stuff about it + I like this kind of movies. =)
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SickAtHome
      total mindf*ck
      in a good way ofc
      Yea, was about to say that.
      In b4 he was dreaming at the end of the movie.
      He was obviously not. Thing was about to fall.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      it doesn't matter if it falls or not. For one thing, the totems can only tell them if they are in their own dream, or someone else's. They don't actually tell them *if* they're dreaming.
      Arthur's loaded die for example would only fall on the right side if he's in his own dream, or in reality. It works because no-one knows what side it'll fall on. A spinning top though is the most useless totem ever. Everyone knows it should fall over, so it will fall over regardless of whose dream he's in.

Actually, i'm just paraphrasing that link i gave earlier, so I'll just copy/paste it

Originally posted on DreamViews.com
      Yes, but you're assuming that Mal exists outside of the dream. Who's to say that Dom didn't create her while in limbo, while he was creating buildings and cathedrals and beaches? If he went into a dream alone, then maybe he tried to convince himself that he could create a companion. But on that one level of limbo he could never be truly satisfied because he could always see her lack of genuine complexity, true perfection, and beautiful imperfections, and would always remember that he had created her. Therefore, he had to implant an inception on himself: the idea that they were both in a dream together, and that by killing themselves on the train tracks they could wake up into "reality" together--a reality that is in fact just a deeper stage of limbo.

Why, when they wake up in this "reality" after spending all this time going deeper and deeper in exploration of these dream layers--why aren't they attached to the sleeping machines? Why don't they have the wires in their arms? They're just sleeping on the floor. How could they have managed all that incredibly complex mutual dreaming without the advanced technology?

If Mal is just something that Cobb created, then her suicide isn't going to manifest into some real person who can slap the sleeping Cobb on the face. Part of the inception was that Cobb had entered a "reality" where the "real Mal" commits suicide and actually does disappear.

The ultimate inception, though, is fooling himself into thinking that he had children with a person who never existed, burying himself and distracting himself with so many mazes, ruses, plots, and layers that it never occurs to him that these oddly named, brightly lit children--who always look the same and wear the same outfits whether they're on the beach or in the front yard or whatever, whose faces he can't even remember ever having seen, who he for some reason can't just take with him to Buenos Aires--are real people. The inception which he pulls off successfully at the end.

The whole thing occurs in deep layers of limbo. Only Dom truly exists in reality--and perhaps something close to Dom's father (Michael Caine). Maybe even some version of Mal exists in reality--maybe they even were married and "grew old together" (how do you explain that random shot of the old couple holding hands, the part that Mal "doesn't remember"?), but then perhaps she died and the reason he entered limbo was to try to rebuild her, to restore immortality to her--think of the film as a futuristic Orpheus and Eurydice, possibly. But the Michael Caine we see and the Mal we and all the other characters--all of them are just manifestations of Dom's imaginings, either partially based on a reality that we never fully see, or else completely imagined (which would explain why almost all of the supporting cast--while being colorful--is pretty one-dimensional, most of the characters having almost no back story. Anyone who's seen Nolan's other films knows that his characters are anything but one-dimensional. The characters are just interesting enough so that we can enjoy watching the movie without asking too many questions, but far less interesting than, say, Robin Williams in Insomnia or Michael Caine in The Prestige.)

The "reality" makes no sense when you really start to jab at it. That hotel room that wraps around so that he's looking at her face while she's standing on the ledge contemplating suicide--doesn't that seem more like a layout that would exist in a dream rather than in an actual hotel room? Her having "gone to three psychiatrists to declare herself sane." Really? That, coupled with the letter filed with the lawyer, sounds like the kind of convoluted obstacles that we come up with in dreams to explain why we're having so many difficulties. Dom jumps to Mombasa and France--where an American girl is learning--what? architecture? sleeps studies?--from a British professor who is a pioneering expert of the technology and yet his best pupil knows absolutely nothing about the technology--in fact, she seems never to have even heard of it before. In Mombasa--where Dom is being hounded by strange, suspicious chasers who very closely resemble angry subconscious projections (even a waiter and a restaurant full of people start yelling at him for no discernible reason)--he meets with Eames, who tells him that they need to contact a chemist. One cut later they're--where? Down the street in Mombasa? India? China? Ancient Mystical Asia? And who or what is Saito, anyway? He's a bad guy? He's a businessman? He works for the dream company? This Japanese dude's telephone call is really the ONLY way that this American man can ever see his children again? Why is Michael Caine in Los Angeles when a few days ago he was teaching in France? How does he know when to expect to pick up Dom, and if he's so sure that he is going to pick up Dom, then why doesn't he bring the kids with him to see their daddy get off the plane?

In other words... why does the "reality" of the film make so much less sense than the dreams?

Even the dreams don't obey their own supposed rules. If a dream can only truly be manipulated by the dreamer and the architect, then why is Dom--who is never the architect and who supposedly is never the dreamer--unable to keep his subconscious projections (Mal, the train, etc.) from blasting through the landscape of the dream? (Answer: because it's all his dream!)

And as for Dom's totem--which isn't even his totem, it's Mal's--it's a useless artifact that doesn't serve a purpose. A useful totem is one that behaves consistently yet in a manner that is inconsistent with expectation--Arthur's loaded die always lands on one secret side, Ariadne's chess piece has the center of gravity shifted so that it falls rather than sliding. This kind of useful totem still does not distinguish between fantasy and reality; it instead distinguishes between A and B, where A is either reality or the totem holder's own dream and B is a dream created by someone other than the totem holder. A can be reality (Arthur's die will always fall on one side) or the totem holder's dream (Arthur may remember in his dream that his die will always fall on one side). And even that's not a guarantee because it's possible that the totem holder's subconscious may fool him even within his own dream.

Dom's totem, though, is useless. A top is supposed to fall. In reality it will fall. In Dom's dream it will fall. In an architect's dream it will fall. Because that's what it's supposed to do. The only time it won't fall will be within a dream that Dom knows is a dream--then he'll know to make it keep spinning forever. But if he thinks that the dream is reality, then he knows to make it fall. And if any other architect wants to fool him into thinking he's in reality (and many people know that he has a top; it's no surprise to most people), they simply need to make the top fall. Part of the inception--Dom's inception on himself; Nolan's inception on us--is making us think that the top simply distinguishes between fantasy (the top doesn't fall) or reality (the top does fall). We never see the top fall at the end, which is Nolan's hint to us that we're in a dream. But we know that the top is about to fall, which simply means that Dom has bought into his "reality."