[NL2-NL10] Instructional sample hands #11

• Poll
    • What is the correct move here and why?

bet $0.20
        46%
        check
        34%
        bet $0.35
        15%
        fold
        5%
        push all-in
        0%
      Total: 41 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      UTG:
      $9,75
      UTG+2:
      $8,02
      MP2:
      $6,60
      MP3:
      $4,44
      CO:
      $8,43
      BU:
      $15,34
      SB:
      $2,79
      Hero:
      $2
      UTG+1:
      $2,84
      MP1:
      $9,60

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , 6:club:
      4 folds, MP2 calls $0,10, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,10, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,35) A:spade: , 5:heart: , 3:club: (3 players)
      Hero???
  • 8 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I bet potsize and maybe fold to a raise. ;)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Why waste another 15 cents to find out where you at:D I would bet/fold 20 cents and check/fold turn, check/call half pot size on the river.
    • Altorax
      Altorax
      Bronze
      voted fold. Top pair with a very bad kicker seems like trash to me and with 3 players calling the BB it looks too risky Any A with better kicker kicks you out :tongue:
    • PokerDeSiRe
      PokerDeSiRe
      Bronze
      Just check it and if one of the others bet.... fold it.......

Not to difficult.......
    • Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      I'd bet 2/3 of the pot.

Top kicker and the chance of one of the remaining two opponents having limped with 74 or 42 is very slim I'd say.

More likely I'm up against a low pair, maybe 44 so one of them has a straight draw. Otherwise I'd assume hands like QJ, JT etc and if one of them has an Ace it is most probably with a weak kicker too so the only hand that is likely to reraise is two pair.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Sorry guys. The majority was wrong:

According to the strategy we won't bet here. But why?

If we take a look at the board there are no flushdraws possible, but a straight draw is possible. There aren't that many draws out there.

If we bet now, every opponent assumes that we have an ace and he will only raise or call with a strong hand. Weaker hands will simply fold. But if the opponents have a set or an ace with a better kicker they will stay in the hand.

What if someone raises behind us?
      Everyone of us has the experience that he or she couldn't fold the hand and lost a stack against a monster. That is exactly the problem which appears if you have top pair with a weak kicker. We cannot fold.

But let's change the point of view:

Which hands could Villain have which are weaker than our hand and which he can call our bet with? The only possibility is a straight draw. He would fold everything else weaker than an ace. That means only better hands call our bet.

In addition our chances to improve against these stronger hands are very low because we don't have many outs.

For this reason we play check/fold as a beginner according to the strategy. With these hands you can win small and lose big.

With more experience you can sometimes play these hands.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      But the majority said they bet 0.20$? :/
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      fixed