[NL2-NL10] NL10 AQs from bb, 3 bet, villain cold calls, flop is Axx

• alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Was there any way to escape this, was a fold possible on the river?

My analysis was that villain didn't have AK because of his preflop and flop behavior, this player definitely wouldn't have played passive like this. I thought from his preflop behavior that he was on a weaker ace, . AQ, AJ or A10, not probably weaker then that, JJ or 1010. Trips was almost out of the question. This player wouldn't have called the 3 bet with 99 or 44.

On the turn, when the 10 came up, I still wasn't that worried, and now was pretty sure that he was a on a weaker ace by the way the hand was progressing.

But on the J river I was sure of what had happened. He probably had improved to two pair. I even check over in an attempt to control the pot since I now was pretty sure I was behind. I didn't think he could have called my 3 bet with less then AJ or A10, A10 was probably already a stretch.

Was a fold possible here? Could I escape this situation in any way, bet bigger on flop and turn? Or even shove the turn? Was there any point in checking the river since I was going to call a shove anyway? Any ideas of how this could have been played differently?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $14.79
      CO:
      $14.27
      BU:
      $16.95
      SB:
      $9.59
      BB (Hero):
      $10.00
      UTG2:
      $11.89
      MP1:
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $10.43

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A.
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.35, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.10, CO calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.25) 9, 4, A (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, CO calls $1.30.

Turn: ($4.85) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.10, CO calls $2.10.

River: ($9.05) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $9.77(All-In), Hero calls $5.50.

Final Pot: $24.32.
      Results follow:

CO shows two pairs, aces and jacks(A J).
      Hero shows a pair of aces(Q A).

CO wins with two pairs, aces and jacks(A J).
  • 8 replies
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      a
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I'd bet more on flop and turn, especially on the turn where there are 2 FDs and a straight draw. You can't really rule out AK because it's very easy to call 3bet IP with that hand. As for the way you played it, you can and usually have to fold river here because you don't even have TPTK. Would he really bluff you with Jx, Tx, busted FD? I would prefer b/f river because of the busted FDs.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Please hide the results as we have to think about hand overall, without seeing them.
      As played river is a fold by the range you defined JJ/TT/AT/AJ/AQ + AK. I doubt players are bluffing missed FD in pot this big, so more or less you can safely say you are beaten here.
      You may bet bigger on all streets and you would be close to committed by river, but I'm somehow afraid of taking myself to value town for him, so I think sizing is fine.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Duudalinja
      Please hide the results as we have to think about hand overall, without seeing them.
      As played river is a fold by the range you defined JJ/TT/AT/AJ/AQ + AK. I doubt players are bluffing missed FD in pot this big, so more or less you can safely say you are beaten here.
      You may bet bigger on all streets and you would be close to committed by river, but I'm somehow afraid of taking myself to value town for him, so I think sizing is fine.
      How do I do that hide thing? I've seen the posts that have that thing "highlight to see results", don't know how it's done though.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      If you use PS hand converter there radio buttons to choose how to show or hide results when you are converting your hand. See picture below.

But alternative way is just to manually delete lines from your post where result are written.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      After you convert the hand, exactly above the BBCode you have the options to show, highlight or hide results.

LE: Sick timing!
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      OK, thanks. Lol that's easy. I guess I'm blind, never saw that in the hand converter, or never payed attention to it, though it is the obvious place for the "result hider" to be :f_p:
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      you´re stack size is too small to c/f river
      Since it is hard to get value from worse hands I think c/c river is fine play