BB defense with QTo

• benguela
      benguela
      Bronze
      [Edit]My apologies, I realise I should have posted this in Hand Evaluations BSS until 0.05/0.10 but I don't know how to move it.

Two questions on the hand below:

1: Was my defense of the BB with QTo against a loose player correct? I entered the hand ranges for CO in the maximal advanced openraising chart and it turns out my equity is 48.7% and villian is 51.2% so therefor my defense was wrong? I should have folded because 48.7 < 51.2?

2: After the flop villian goes all-in, I had to make a $0.95 call vs a $1.50 pot, so pot odds comes to 63%? Was the call correct? I entered the hand ranges for CO in the maximal advanced openraising chart and it turns out my equity is 59.4% and villian is 40.5%. Therefor is the conclusion that the call was incorrect because 59.4 < 63% or do I call because 59.4 > 40.5 ?

Am I using the equilator correctly here? Even though I won the hand, I played it incorrectly? Do I increase the hand ranges for this player and therefor my equity would improve?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4.10
      CO:
      $1.21

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.87 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:diamond: , T:heart:
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.07, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, CO calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.25) K:heart: , Q:heart: , 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, CO raises to $1.09 (All-In), Hero calls $0.95.

Turn: ($2.43) 3:diamond:
      River: ($2.43) 2:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.43

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of queens (Qd Th)
      CO shows high card ace with king kicker (Ah 6d)

Hero wins with a pair of queens (Qd Th)
  • 4 replies
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      I fold preflop almost always.
      QTo plays very bad OOP, especially against and aggro guy you will rarely flop a hand that you're happy about since he will play big pots vs you and you usually only have medium strength hands w/QTo.

As played I probably get it in as well since he's so aggro and against most TP type hands you have almost 50% equity (you only need ~40% equity to get it in), I'd bet $0.19 though to maximize value against worse hands.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Thanks for the info on folding preflop, usually i'm raising that preflop against a loose player. Just so I know what hands would be good to raise / call preflop against this sort of villain?
    • SiXAT
      SiXAT
      Bronze
      idk i defend in spots like this but i dont min3bet but call play for pot control, also before i do it, i try to find some betting patters patterns calling patterns, if he folds and i might bluff him oop.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by benguela
      1: Was my defense of the BB with QTo against a loose player correct? I entered the hand ranges for CO in the maximal advanced openraising chart and it turns out my equity is 48.7% and villian is 51.2% so therefor my defense was wrong? I should have folded because 48.7 < 51.2?
      Your hot and cold equity does not tell you whether to defend. The question is whether you are setting up good situations later. There are many considerations beyond hot and cold equity. You might have some fold equity, there is money left to bet, and you have a positional disadvantage.

It can be right to fold some hands with more equity than other hands you call. Some hands give you an information advantage which lets you bet for value more effectively. Making bottom pair versus ace high wins, but you usually can't bet bottom pair for value. Making a straight against TPTK usually means you win a big pot.

I would fold this preflop, but if I had to 3-bet I would make the 3-bet larger. I would bet a larger proportion of the pot on this drawy flop.

2: After the flop villian goes all-in, I had to make a $0.95 call vs a $1.50 pot, so pot odds comes to 63%? Was the call correct? I entered the hand ranges for CO in the maximal advanced openraising chart and it turns out my equity is 59.4% and villian is 40.5%. Therefor is the conclusion that the call was incorrect because 59.4 < 63% or do I call because 59.4 > 40.5 ?
      Your math isn't right. You would only need more than 50% equity to call if the rake is taking a remarkably large amount out of the pot. Otherwise, your risk is smaller than your reward. When your opponent raises, it is $0.95 more to call and the total pot will be $2.43, so the equity you need is 95/243 =39%.

You might have 59% equity against his preflop range on that flop, but you need to update his range for his flop actions. Do you expect him to shove with no pair and no draw? If not, then you need to take some hands out of his range, and this will lower your equity against his shoving range, making this a closer call.