Stacks:
      UTG ($8.45)
      CO ($4.65)
      BTN ($16.40)
      SB ($10.57)
      Hero ($11.65)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 5 players) Hero is BB K:diamond: A:heart:
      1 fold, CO raises to $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.70, CO calls $0.50

Flop: 7:club: 4:spade: 6:spade: ($1.45, 2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35

Turn: 8:club: ($2.15, 2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: A:club: ($2.15, 2 players)
      Hero bets $1, CO raises to $3, Hero folds

Opp: unknown

This board on flop is so coordinated that I just can't cbet it, any FD/SD/overpair and maybe even overcards will call me. At this point I had already given up, but somehow I still decided to call that smallish flop bet. There's sometimes problems to sticking with initial plan. :)
      When river hit I decided to bet against random hands, but now, when looking back, it seems I should just check back and may call smallish bet instead of leading out. Board offers a lot of better combos, so I just can't get enough value by betting.

Opinions?
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      If he had a bigger stack I'd still cbet to rep QQ+. As he has less than half-stack I think you did OK by calling small flop but then c/c river too.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      c/c river is reasonable, although I think I don´t mind also b/c there, since he is just so short that can easily shove random draws
      Don´t like to b/f that small river raise hand that has so much showdown value
    • AmAsu
      AmAsu
      Basic
      Here's the story most of the bad players at micro are telling:

Step 1 (flop) - I have a draw and I was checked to, I'll just make a small bet, maybe he'll fold

Step 2 (turn) - Yay, my draw got there and I was checked to again, I will now SLOWPLAY, cause I love to do that

Step 3 (river) - Hahahahaha, he's betting into me, now I will overbet and make it look like I'm bluffing and I'll have lotsa money!!!!

He has a 5 :D Well, maybe this particular villain doesn't, but so many of them have in this situation.. Even if he doesn't you don't really beat anything but a bluff (and a stupid one I might add), your TPTK here could just as well be 79 (3rd pair no kicker). So don't bet the river and fold if you did.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      I don't see many missed draws he may bluff raise here as the board is scary enough for him as well if he doesn't have a piece.
      AmAsu, you described very believable scenario ofc, but I think that's not the only one possible, but that's why I posted this hand, because I think I misplayed this by b/f river and to see other player thoughts. :) I tend to play c/c after rethinking this as it may induce more bluffs from him and I doubt he's 3bet calling range consists of many 5x or 9T. I just don't see him bluffing enough to b/c profitable enough.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      I think the river reraise is interesting, since I see so many fish/bad players do this type of donk bet/reraise. But I haven't reached a clear enough conclusion on it.

Why do so many small/midstacks only raise/reraise like 80% of their stack instead of shoving?

I can think of two lines of thought.

1) It's a bluff raise and they don't want to lose their whole stack in case you shove. LOL. As retarded as it sounds I've seen fish fold their bluff bets into hugh pots for example with $1 left of a $10 stack in a $18 pot!

2) They think if they shove it looks too scary, so they decide to bet like 3/4 or 4/5 of their stack instead of going allin.

What does everyone think it is more often? Or maybe something else apart from my two options. I'm making a post in the BSS discussion forum on this since I think it's interesting.