[NL2-NL10] calling for straight draw

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with 3, 3.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.40, MP1 raises to $0.80, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.80, 2 folds, UTG2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($2.55) 4, 6, 5 (3 players)
      UTG2 checks, MP1 bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10, UTG2 folds.

Turn: ($4.75) K (2 players)
      MP1 bets $1.30, Hero calls $1.30.

River: ($7.35) 3 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $2.10, Hero raises to $6.80(All-In), MP1 calls $4.70.

Final Pot: $20.95.

i thought that he was obviously having a high overpair and i could break it when i hit my straight. i thought that it was very unlikely that he was going to have FD or straight draws so my outs were clean. on the river i hit an unexpected trips and decided to shove on him. is this correct?
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      Personally I wouldn't shove it there. The board is too draw heavy to expect a call from hands worse than ours. I look at it but can't see a worse hand that would call us. Maybe, just maybe AA would call, as it is a hand that blurs logic thinking at times.
    • Duudalinja
      I think calling pre is fine if there are two opps in the hands, but it may turn out bad if UTG2 4bets and you have to fold. I would fold flop as UTG2 may be c/r and overall I don't think he will pay you often if you start going crazy on such a board even when your straight hits. He gives you good odds on flop, but I like just folding it.
      If you called flop, you have to call turn and with that card you have to call river as well.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Just fold preflop. You can't setmine profitably when you take into account what could happen preflop that would prevent you from even seeing a flop.

As played I don't mind your postflop line as long as you think villain can and will bet/call that river with AA, which is likely since he looks really bad. Sometimes he'll show you KK and you'll cry, but there are twice as many AA as KK combos out there, so it's fine.

Hope it helps.