$10.81
      UTG2 (Hero):
      $10.09
      MP1:
      $5.10
      MP2:
      $5.24

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with 8, 9.
      Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.40, CO calls $0.40, 2 folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.65) 7, J, 6 (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.90, MP3 folds, CO folds, BB raises to $2.10, Hero raises to $9.69, BB calls $7.59.

Turn: ($21.03) 5 (2 players)

River: ($21.03) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $21.03.
      Results follow:

BB shows three of a kind, sevens(7 7).
      Hero shows a straight, nine high(8 9).

Hero wins with a straight, nine high(8 9).

i thought that in a multi-way pot a check raise was going to signify great strength, probably 2 pair, set or better. i thought i should have called instead and try to hit my draws.
  • 3 replies
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Usually I would try to get it in on this flop without much doubt with such a combo draw, but BB range include all pocket pairs till JJ as I think he would raise QQ+ pre, and a lot of connectors as he had good odds to call preflop. He would fold or at least not raise all small pairs he didn't hit on flop. That said all is not good for us as he may have sets and better draws, but I think with all the dead money in the flop it should be fine to play for stacks here.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      1. I would fold this hand in early position.

2. You have an OESFD :s_biggrin: . For sure I'm getting it in on the flop against any hand. I'm basically flipping and already have money invested.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      1. I would fold this hand in early position.

2. You have an OESFD :s_biggrin: . For sure I'm getting it in on the flop against any hand. I'm basically flipping and already have money invested.
      This. Just because you didn't hit doesn't mean it was wrong to go broke on the flop. Even against JJ you have ~41% equity, which means that with the dead money involved it's probably already +ev for you to go broke even if his range is only sets, so it can't be a mistake.

There are cases where it might be better to just call given the very good odds you're getting, but that requires you knowing that you can get villain's stack when you hit the turn, meaning he won't c/c c/f or b/f ugly turn/river cards. Basically if seeing the turn can help you lose less against better hands while still getting the same value out of worse hands, it's possible. Otherwise you're usually just leaking away money overall.

So when in doubt, just felt your OESFD.

Hope it helps.