[NL2-NL10] what to do on the re-rase on the river?

• cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $9.68
      MP3:
      $10.15
      CO (Hero):
      $14.68
      BU:
      $10.49
      SB:
      $9.15
      BB:
      $7.47
      UTG2:
      $9.95
      MP1:
      $10.91

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, A.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) T, 8, Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.45) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.45) A (2 players)
      BB bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.80, BB raises to $3.20, Hero calls $1.40.

Final Pot: $7.85.

i thought that the call on the flop and check on the turn and the small bet on the river signified a weak pair, probably T or Q or perhaps he hit the A on the river. i decided to raise for value. i dont understand the re-raise though. what could he have there? completed flush? 2 pair? could i fold there? or should i fold? i thought that a raise from him was really strong and with AF of 2 he was going to show me some slowplayed sets or better and i could find a fold here

opponent has 26/6 with AF of 2.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      He played it like a flush. Straightforward, no semibluffs, the only maybe fancy play was the small bet on the river to induce action. Maybe you are too aggressive and he picked up on that.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      I would just call river bet just because flush got there and there may be straight draws completed on turn. And even tho he may bet Qx on river, he won't call a raise here imo.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Key point is that him check/calling the flop coupled with the Ad rivering makes it pretty unlikely he ever has Ax, so while it looks like your hand is strong enough to value-raise, it makes little sense against his range that can't call in that particular spot unless you're beat. Note that together with that both flushdraws and KJ got there, meaning he has you smoked often enough to even offset the small profit you could turn by getting some random Qx hands to call a value-raise.

Hope it helps.