[NL2-NL10] I hit my set and opp reraises all-in on the turn!

• hmogotvm
      hmogotvm
      Bronze
      Ahoy good sirs,
      Proudly presenting:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $1.00
      CO:
      $1.52
      BU:
      $2.08
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB:
      $2.27
      UTG2:
      $1.67
      MP1 (Hero):
      $5.05
      MP2:
      $5.12

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 2, 2.
      UTG2 folds, Hero calls $0.02, MP2 raises to $0.10, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.33) T, A, 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($0.33) 2 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, MP2 raises to $0.60, CO folds, Hero raises to $1.80, MP2 raises to $5.02 ... Hero?

So my question is can I or should I be weary when playing the bottom set in a situation like this? The raise from MP because he got the straight is out of the question -- he raised preflop and only 34 would make a straight here. Having that said, I was bewildered and tried to piece together hands that would raise when deuce came on the turn, nothing came to mind, I could only maybe think of an Ax...? A2? Now two pair and raise? But why raise preflop with A2? He wasn't that loose... Maybe AK/AQ and he thought he'd checkraise on the flop but CO checked behind? AT would make sense, he raised from MP, hit top two pair and figured he'd slowplay. Flushdraw certainly came to mind, but shove was way too aggressive for that type of hand...

What would you gentlemen do?
      I'll post the finale of this thriller after the discussion :)
  • 7 replies
    • gonepoker
      gonepoker
      Bronze
      Hi. I think all you need is to go all in:) He might been slowplaying aces two pair or just has flush draw. And your odds don't let you fold.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Shove it! :D
    • Adapter1337
      Adapter1337
      Bronze
      + he might think that you try to stole pot, but thats not so possible.
      Anyway only hands what beat you now is AA TT 55, there is 3combos each what he can have, so 9 combos. But its NL2, there is much more combos in his range what you beat haaaaaaard. AT (Why not A2/A5 in NL2??), AQ, AK, AJ, bluff. A lot of combos. And if he have even 34 (:D :D :D ) then you have 10outs.
      Anyway you cant fold here almoust never.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's scary really. A guy with a healthy stack makes a 4bb+1bb isoraise over your limp, then decides not to c-bet a very good c-betting board when he's sandwiched 3-way, and finally comes to life on a blank turn as soon as somebody happens to show some interest while still sandwiched in a 3-way pot, with a standard 3x raise instead of some bullshit minraise nonetheless.

To me it really looks like a reg who flopped the world, which usually will mean TT/AA. You just don't see decent looking players take that line with bluffs ever unless they're on drugs, the only value hand you beat is likely AT. If you have reasons to think he's not a reg and he might be overplaying stuff like AQ/AK/AT you have to felt it, but if you can like look him up and he's 6-tabling or something I'd say you're toast often enough to warrant making what looks like an insanely tight call on the turn to slowdown the action, possibly folding to a big river bet.

Hope it helps.
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      I don't think we can ever fold this at NL2 without reads. Villain can show up here with all sorts of random spewy stuff, from KK to 7c8c To Ax...
    • hmogotvm
      hmogotvm
      Bronze
      MaestroOfZerg, you're right on. This is the rest of the hand:

Turn: ($0.33) 2 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, MP2 raises to $0.60, CO folds, Hero raises to $1.80, MP2 raises to $5.02, Hero calls $3.15.

River: ($10.3) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.3.
      Results follow:

MP2 shows three of a kind, tens(T T).
      Hero shows three of a kind, twos(2 2).

MP2 wins with three of a kind, tens(T T).

I kinda felt gross when I called that all-in, deep inside I guess I felt a higher set. But I had no choice, had to see it, couldn't fold.
      What a bloodbath.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      It's not so simple, against a fish, with 100BB stack its an easy ship, ship, ship. However, if this guy is a reg, which is possible, then it's more difficult, the only hand other than set that he will do this with is really AT, imo. Now, you need to consider that you are playing 250BB deep, will he really get it all in with top 2? If he considers you as a reg, he won't be getting it all in with top 2 because he knows you only call with hands that beat him when your this deep.

If this guy is reg, I make the fold since you're so deep.

If you are playing standard 100BB against fish/bad-reg I think you ship.

Thats my thoughts, I currently play NL2 too.