What kind of poker is most profitable nowadays?

• nitaidean
      nitaidean
      Bronze
      I've started getting into NLHE for the past half year or so, and managed to win money consistently enough... but relatively slowly. And I'm constantly hearing people talk about "the good old days" when poker was far fishier and a good player had an easy breezy time making a ton of money.

My question is, which kind of poker is the most profitable, nowadays in Aug. 2010? Maybe NLHE has received so much publicity that the ratio of regs/fish is just too high and a good player's average edge over the game has gotten unattractive.

So whats the new "best game" to get into, where the play is fishy and the variance is low, and a good player can make some money if he takes the time to learn the game properly. I mean, there's PLO, PLO8, Stud, Stud8, Razz.... I don't want to start getting into them all, but I wanted some help or advice about which one to pick, and what poker site is good for playing it (I have accounts on Stars and FTP).
  • 44 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Gold
      PLO is what a lot of people are racing through the stakes with right now, but it also holds higher variance than NLHE. If you have any kind of edge in Omaha games though, you'd probably rake it in.

I'd stay away from the Hi-Lo tables though at smaller stakes. :)
    • nitaidean
      nitaidean
      Bronze
      Well ATM I have only basic knowledge of PLO, and have never played PLO hi/lo. Though I would imagine that the most profitable game (IE - biggest edge for a player willing to actually LEARN the game properly instead of just donking away his money) would be the more complicated ones... seeing as n00bs will have a harder time picking up the nuances of how to play right.

And it seems to me that the hi/lo versions, both on Omaha and Stud, are a good deal more complex - making the potential edge bigger?

Any thoughts? Bottom line, I want just one game to pick and study up on=)
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Bronze
      live poker
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      PLO is the future poker and I am 100% sure of it. Or maybe NLHE will change and be adapted in the future. Like eventually because everyone think that raising 84o UTG1 is not profitable people will do it more often. Even if we all know mathematically in the long term you still end up being a loser and people realize this...So yea I think NLHE popularity will go down, too many people want to be better. Too many website like pokerstrategy, too many coaches, too many people having a dream of becoming a poker pro...:(
    • nitaidean
      nitaidean
      Bronze
      Yeah, thats definitely part of the problem with NLHE. I think it might eventually get a bit easier again, as lots of regs will either give up online poker or find a different variant of poker other than NLHE, like I am trying to do right now =)

But for now, lets get back to which game is best for now, and for the forseeable future.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well i think NLHE cash games are still pretty profitable for a good player, unless you play higher limits like NL200 or higher. On the lower limits there's still a fish or two at almost every table, and the regs are also not that great.

But yeah PLO is gaining in popularity but it will take a couple of years to overtake NLHE. But i never played PLO on higher limits so i really dont know how many fish are swimming in those waters.
    • nitaidean
      nitaidean
      Bronze
      Yeah NLHE is still definitely profitable, but maybe theres another one thats much more profitable. I mean, maybe here you got 1-2 semi fish per table, but in some other game you would have 80% of the player's being fish.

From what I am learning, both Stud (any of its 3 verions: hi, hi/lo or razz) and PLO (hi or hi/lo) have much more fish than NLHE, just due to the fact that they are more complicated games, and people don't have the patience to learn them as thoroughly as they might learn NLHE, which is relatively more simple. Like checkers and chess...

And in addition, PLO is generally a pretty action and high variance game, while the Stud games offer relatively low variance. This makes Stud seems like the new tempting choice for easy games and easy profits, though the downside is its REALLY hard to multitable, and plus since theres not too much literature, its a bit hard to learn the game yourself...
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      2-7 TD?
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      winning poker
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      2-7 TD?
      Only People playing 2-7 td for $$$ know wat they are doin....

razz up-to $2-$4 is pretty weak
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      FLHE? Lot of beginners play it.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrPavlos
      winning poker
      This.

Keep on trucking. 8-)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      PLO HU :P

To many people want to be durrr
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      PLO HU :P

To many people want to be durrr
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      I hate Omaha. It's not poker but more like roulette. Honestly, it's even easier to win with crappy starting hands than it is in Holdem. On a full table it's almost a given that at least someone has a flush (if three of the same suit are on the table) or a full house (if two of a kind are on the table).
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Originally posted by MrPavlos
      winning poker
      never heard of that! how do you play it?
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dumbledork
      I hate Omaha. It's not poker but more like roulette. Honestly, it's even easier to win with crappy starting hands than it is in Holdem. On a full table it's almost a given that at least someone has a flush (if three of the same suit are on the table) or a full house (if two of a kind are on the table).
      Two of a kind? Lol it's called a pair :s_biggrin:
    • Styr
      Styr
      Gold
      Super Turbos at Full Tilt are very profitable. That is, if you have even a slightest idea of ICM.

Still NL Hold'em, but a variation of it.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      AT micro stakes it's easy, PLO8 FR. 99% have absolutely no idea. Sit with $5, use the software and play only scoop hands like a rock; leave with $28. Bring it on!

Stud at this level is just as silly but I don't play it much.