• joeldowey123
      i think i played it right until the river, silly call there i think

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8, 8.
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, 2 folds, SB calls $0.05, BB raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.70, SB folds.

Flop: ($1.7) 9, 5, 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20.

Turn: ($4.1) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.50, BB calls $2.50.

River: ($9.1) 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $7.00, Hero calls $6.25.

Final Pot: $22.35.
      Results follow:

BB shows a flush, jack high(J K).
      Hero shows a flush, nine high(8 8).

BB wins with a flush, jack high(J K).

any thoughts, was pretty obvious he had 2 overs on the turn
  • 5 replies
    • Duudalinja
      Raise with 88 pre, don't limp first in. Good players will soon understand what cards do you have when you limp/call even 3bet. When setmining against 3bettor you don't have the enough odds overall unless SB calls and as you can assume he would call here often I think calling pre is fine.
      Calling flop seems fine as BB may have AK/AQ he will cbet and just give up later. I would check back flop and try to get to showdown cheaply, because your holding seems too marginal for me for betting. So on blank river I may c/c reasonable river bet if he's aggro and he may bluff with worse hands or just c/f if he pots out or something. On this river and his bet I tend to fold as he may have Ah/Kh easily.
    • joeldowey123
      thanks for your preply - very helpful!
    • EmanuelC16
      I would also raise first in. It's usually good to always raise first in when playing against unknowns. On the flop the call is pretty standard. But I would not bet the turn, you make him fold weaker holdings more often than not and you don't want that. That river bet is too big to ever consider calling. You have to be good like 2:3 times. Not gonna happen, so fold is the correct play there.
    • joeldowey123
      for your insight, much appreciated!
    • MaestroOfZerg

I agree except for the turn play, I think your bet is fine. True sometimes villain will check/call a better hand because he sucks at valuebetting, but more often than not he's indeed behind our 88 and possibly drawing to as many as 15 outs with overs/flushdraw, which we can easily get value from, especially since we know what to do on a flushing river, our 8-high flush just isn't good enough to do anything except checking behind if possible and folding to a bet.

Hope it helps.