Please Answer. I Desperately NEED HELP. Any answer will help.

• garyk5846
      garyk5846
      Bronze
      I actually put 50 dollars on myself because i failed the ID Verification (didn't send proof of address), so kind of wasted a potentially free 50 dollars...but anyway.
      I've been playing for about 3 weeks. Cleared the bonus etc.... I bought into 2c / 5c rush poker playing with 40BB. I grinded out results here. And eventually got up to 100 dollars (only took about 4 days after i started on my upswing). I moved up to 5c/10c Rush poker with 40BB at each table. Although 25 buy ins might still be a bit short. I got up to 140 at my highest point. That was about 3 days ago.

Since then, Due to me being a pure idiot, and having no bankroll management. I got down to about 20 dollars just throwing it away on 10 dollar tournaments, purely because there were no 2 dollar ones available at the time (problem I have). Down to 20 dollars, I won a 4 dollar tournament, and got back up to 180 dollars.

I started playing 5c/10c rush poker again and doing well. But at around 190 dollars. I just started buying into 20 dollar tournaments for no reason at all?. I couldn't believe it........... About 3 hours ago i was down to my last 45 dollars. I bought into 4 different 11+1 Buy in tournaments. And strangely enough I cashed in all 4 , but just about cahsed. Got 75 dollars back in total.

So I'm sitting here on wednesday night with 75 dollars in my bank. I know, from the amount I've played last week (about 4 hours a day on rush poker!!), that I'm due about 50 dollars in rakeback on friday.

Here's where i need help....... Do I Keep playing as of tomorrow morning......? I know I wont be as tilted in the morning, but I can't see myself grinding through the 2c/5c limits anymore.

I could wait until friday, get my rakeback, withdraw about 120 dollars, and be happy i actually made a profit, and never look at poker again..........

I could wait until friday, get 120 dollars, and start playing within limits i can withstain. This is the option that I actually want to do. It's not just my gambling side talking here. I'm on summer holidays and have no job, I can play 4 hours of poker a day if i need to...... So If i do want to keep it up....can anybody reccommend anything? Tips for never wanting to play outside your limits? I've heard some people use meditation etc....

Please help me with any dignified answer... Even if your only reply is "Boring thread", I dont mind i just need an answer. I should withdraw it , i know that, but 120 dollars in my bank account wouldn't fully satisfy me. And I actually am a good poker player. When I'm relaxed and not tilting I tend to have good sessions in the long run, as I can see from me moving my bankroll slowly slowly up , doing all the hardwork, and then going down to 50 in about half an hour, then using my poker skill to get it back up again.

I'd rather here an answer like "I've had the same trouble this is what i did...etc" rather than "Quit", but I wan't people to be honest. I can't make my mind up.

PS. I'm literally about 3 strategy points away from Gold membership. So it would be a shame to miss out on that if i was going to withdraw straight away.
  • 17 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      just go chill out 1 cent 2 cent omaha that will keep ya in the game and you wont lose near enough to anything
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      If you want to, and if you enjoy it keep playing man! Even though you obviously know a bit about BRM, I suggest you go and read the articles on it again and follow it! If you have $120 in your account with rakeback, get on $0.02/$0.05 with 100bb and play some BSS :)
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      I went down the same road as you a while back and would build a nice bankroll playing reasonable stakes and then blow it quickly playing bigger stakes, then build back up because I had no choice, then once I was up I'd blow it all again... i just repeated this cycle over and over. The ups were fun, the downs were brutal...

Then I found PokerStrategy.com and realized I had to be strict about bankroll management. Another thing I did to limit the gambling side of my nature was to restrict myself to play only SnG's and set myself a stop-loss limit of 6 SnG's per day (I'm a casual player and only ever play at most 10 games a day anyway win or lose).

This combination of strict BRM, stop-loss limit and SnG's has worked for me to develop my poker mindset and teach myself to deal with variance and bad beats. I've come to recognize when I'm approaching tilt or feel like bluffing off in bad spots and I stop playing.

Whatever you decide I hope it works for you.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      learning BRM is the first step to being profitable. concentrate on discipline if you intend to make money from poker
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      You know that the only way to be a successful poker player on the long run is to stick to strict brm?? you know that right???

so if you want to be a winning player stick to brm and keep on playing...

if you don't want to player poker anymore stop playing and withdraw...

if you feel like taking shots at limits and stuff like that... go ahead :) I always need some dead money on my tables :) Just be sure to not loose so much money that it affects you in life...

Only one that can get you rid of this bad habit of taking shots at $20 tournaments is you... No one on this forum can do that for you :)
    • Reanimater
      Reanimater
      Bronze
      if you were a friend of mine I would definitely say "be careful with your money, cashout and quit poker!"

as an outsider I can say "play only if you can afford it or if you think that you will start winning."

an alternative would be to cashout your money and continue to play in freeroll games only. In order to win some money you will need to invest hours of your life and you will appreciate those winnings that you make. Eventually, you will get to 'feel' as your bankroll is being created. this might make you respect your money and limit your crazy behavior :)

whatever you chose, I wish you lots of luck and I hope you will not get to lose everything.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Just keep on trucking 8-)
    • garyk5846
      garyk5846
      Bronze
      Ok thanks for the help. I'm going to switch to BSS at NL 5, And just not play tournaments at all, because any tournament that would interest me in prize money for my buy in would be the daily dollar which is a pure donkament. Thanks guys.
    • garyk5846
      garyk5846
      Bronze
      I decided to quit. Got down to 26 dollars. Bought into a 135 person sit and go for 24+2 dollars. Made final table first in chips. Chance to win 950 dollars, but came 8th. I'm so on tilt that i had to get rid of it. I withdrew 120 dollars
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Looks like you made it a whole day sticking to BRM :rolleyes:
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      chip leader and come 8th thats rough you know when your chip leader on final table you shoild let them have a war with each other
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      My advice to you would be dont quit, quiting gets you nowhere. If everyone here fell at the first hurdle and quit i think there would be a lot less helpfull experienced people around here.

If your gonna play cash games, study cash games wether it be SSS or BSS and stick to the BRM or if you want to play SNGs, then stick to them instead but stick to BRM. Its just a matter of self discipline wich we all have to conqure at some point in our life

I like you never recieved the free $50 so i deposited $100 (after depositing a few $10 :f_biggrin: ) and started at nl5 BSS and stayed fairly close to BRM making a little profit. 1 of my biggest leaks was buyin in to tournaments, I didnt find this out till i bought Holdem Manager, so after that I stoped buying into tournaments and just concentrated on my cash game.

I still play the odd SNG now and then, but buyin small. I would like to switch to SNGs 1 day but it helps me to just concentrate on 1 thing. Im not saying you should stop playing them but i would choose a format, Ring game or tournament then study it, keep improving and stick with it. I wouldnt quit after 3 weeks, no way especialy if ur posting a profit in 1 format.

As the old saying goes "stick with what you know"
      Just my thoughts hope it helps :rolleyes:
    • garyk5846
      garyk5846
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dannyf85
      My advice to you would be dont quit, quiting gets you nowhere. If everyone here fell at the first hurdle and quit i think there would be a lot less helpfull experienced people around here.

If your gonna play cash games, study cash games wether it be SSS or BSS and stick to the BRM or if you want to play SNGs, then stick to them instead but stick to BRM. Its just a matter of self discipline wich we all have to conqure at some point in our life

I like you never recieved the free $50 so i deposited $100 (after depositing a few $10 :f_biggrin: ) and started at nl5 BSS and stayed fairly close to BRM making a little profit. 1 of my biggest leaks was buyin in to tournaments, I didnt find this out till i bought Holdem Manager, so after that I stoped buying into tournaments and just concentrated on my cash game.

I still play the odd SNG now and then, but buyin small. I would like to switch to SNGs 1 day but it helps me to just concentrate on 1 thing. Im not saying you should stop playing them but i would choose a format, Ring game or tournament then study it, keep improving and stick with it. I wouldnt quit after 3 weeks, no way especialy if ur posting a profit in 1 format.

As the old saying goes "stick with what you know"
      Just my thoughts hope it helps :rolleyes:

Thank you for the advice. I think I will stick with it. Do you have any tips to stick to BRM/avoid going on tilt? Eg. Not allowed play after midnight. Don't play sessions for longer than an hour at a time. Don't play hungover? lol
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Everyone will chase "that one big cash that will make my pro status happen..." That's why online MTTs are prolly the most profitable type of poker ... if u know how to play them. Ur thread proves that point. My advice would be learn to be disciplined or quit. Everything else will just bring u tons more frustration ... I somehow doubt u want to be frustrated further ...
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      I normally play 2hr sessions at a time, sometimes twice a day. I like to read an article or watch a session review before i start to get me in the right mindset for playing. If i start playing and my mind is elsewhere i stop, its +EV to do so (I think ?( ). I wouldnt suggest playing unless you feel ready for it mentaly and physicly

As for BRM like I say thats self discipline. Theirs no shame in dropping a limit on a downswing, it happens to every1, try not to see $ as dollers but BB's instead. Just stick with it and make correct decisions play ur A game it pays off in the end, u only have to check out the success stories forum to see that.

Check out peoples blogs they can be very inspiring

Good to see ya stickin with it play for the long term results not the short term at least till you have a good enough sample size 50K+ hands to identify major leaks. Stick to the stategy stick to brm and you should be able to acheive that without going busto GL ;)
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      lol so you tilted your way to gold status playing limits out of your bankroll, sounds like a real gamlber :O . Anyways my advice is to grind NL 5 until you have a 250$ bankroll, when you have 250$ grind NL10 you must play patiently and optimally use a hud in your NLHE FR nl5 cash games download elephant and use the free trial or buy it with your strategy points, learn how to use the hud dont go broke playing out of your limits only donkeys do that. Im up 320$ Profit playing proper poker over @ William Hills playing NL10 FR, so dont go screwing up your bankroll just cuz you cant handle the action, try multi tabling go 4-6 tabling, dont play rush poker its more swingy and has less skill involved its not poker in my eyes its a pos that ruins this game, go play the real poker and be patient and in time you will amass a great bankroll with discipline thats the most important advice i can give you.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Think of it as a game that involves money instead of a gambling activity, and you're pretty much there. If you then find it's not interesting anymore, then forget about BRM and keep on depositing your own money. It's this that keep poker alive. Where do you think all that money you're shooting for comes from? :s_evil: