[NL2-NL10] Nl2

• fusionpk
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K.
      4 folds, BU raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.10, BB folds, BU calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.22) 9, K, Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.06, Hero raises to $0.17, BU calls $0.11.

Turn: ($0.56) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

River: ($0.56) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10.

Final Pot: $0.76.

I am not playing full stack here, like 40BB because I hadn't topped back up (maybe this should go in SSS forum I duno? I never played SSS)

Anyway, didn't have many hands on this guy but he seemed to be opening more LP than EP etc so he had some idea of what hes doing. He opens BU and I decide to 3B in SB, which I think is good. On the flop I c/r to get some more value out of hands he might have and any bluffs he might have, at the time I figured if he bets out air, I get some value from his bluffs, I figure I have to raise incase he is betting his draws. Now I think about it I think I should bet/fold this flop? By check raising I give him the option of a free card on a draw heavy board, if he shoves its horrid, whereas if I bet fold I get value from draws and I can fold to a raise and lose the minimum. The only thing I don't get from b/f is value from bluffs. Any advice is useful, thanks.
  • 4 replies
    • BattleHunter
      I would usually advice to 3bet bigger pre, but I guess it wouldn't really matter if we make it 2,5x or 3x with a 40bb stack, because we get all our money in the middle easily anyway, while he probably folds the same hands he would otherwise.

as played I don't really see a reason to slowplay our hand on the flop. There are really a lot of pair+gutshot hands that have equity against us and unless you are like 99% sure that he's going to bet vs. our missed cbet, I don't any gain in checking. We simply miss both protection and value too often.

Considering we have 36bb behind in a 11bb pot, I would simply bet it big like 9bb, leaving us with 27bb in a 29bb pot, allowing for an easy shove on the turn.
    • Gabinr1
      3bet to $0,14 preflop. 3*raise+1bb (because you are out of position)

Cbet big F for value and go all if villain raises. If he calls, push Turn. You are ahead of many hands on the flop and after betting, taking in consideration that you started with less than half a stack, you are committed.

Also, go to options and enable auto-top if the platform you're playing at has it.
    • fusionpk
      Thanks guys, you confirmed what I was thinking really. In actual fact he did have pair + gutshot and hit gutshot on the turn lol. I haven't played poker online for a while (just been playing live but you get like 20hands/hr) and im just getting back into it.
    • MaestroOfZerg

3-bet bigger preflop to $0.14, raise the flop bigger to $0.24 and felt it. If he just calls, shove any turn except...

Jacks and Tens. Those cards give two pairs or a straight to virtually every decent broadway hand villain can show up with, so unless your opponent is loose enough to be playing like all Kx hands chances are you're actually behind his range on those particular cards.

As played on the river I would bet/fold like $0.20, just because I think him checking back the turn is more indicative of a hand like Kx or Qx that can call a small value than of two pairs / straightes that would probably have bet the turn. Since we'll usually check/call such a small bet anyway because he could make it for no good reason with a worse Kx, we might as well bet ourselves to ensure we get value out of worse. If you think it's too thin, check/calling baby bets and check/folding to anything decent is the way to go.

Hope it helps.