[NL2-NL10] Nl5 99

• YUKNOW
      I know the call on the flop is kind of unnecessary but I 3bet the guy preflop when he was stealing from the button a few times and stole some pots on the flop cause I had this read that he bets smallish when he's weak and hesitates before betting. I think he could have had enough and 3bet me and then bet pot on the flop, cause from my experience on nl2 and nl5, people bet pot when they are bluffing or they are super strong. I play on everest and there is just a bet button and a "bet pot" button so they use it, instead of typing in a "big bet" amount and hence - I called.

With this information, do you think my play was bad?

Known players:

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.87 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9:diamond: , 9:club:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, 3 folds, BB raises to $0.48, Hero calls $0.33.

Flop: ($0.99) 8:heart: , 4:club: , 5:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.99, Hero calls $0.99.

Turn: ($2.97) 4:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.62, Hero raises to $2.17, BB calls $1.55.

River: ($7.31) 6:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $7.31
  • 5 replies
    • BattleHunter
      I wold most probably have already folded preflop, you didn't provide his 3b stat, but a 23/14 usually doesn't 3b too lightly oop

Besides that, in a standard situation I'd just fold to the pot bet on the flop, but if

1) he is indeed one of those ppl that just hit pot when they cbet (you should know his cbet sizing from 490 hands) and
      2) he can bluff a missed AK, but does not play it aggressively turn &/or river

so if his standard cbet is pot and he doesn't care too much about the flop texture, we could go with a call.

On the turn though though I don't think he's calling our raise with AK (or eventually other overcards like AQ that he might have in a 3b pot), and I can't really see any big 8s in his range that he can call us (and we dominate) with. Unless we put him exactly on AKs and fear the AhKh I don't think it's worth it to protect vs. overcards with a raise, and yes, they will most probably fold eliminating the possibility of them outdrawing us, but more often I believe that we just valuebet ourselves against TT+.

So as a standard I would fold to his 2nd barrel, but since he makes it so small it's possible that he's simply trying to bluff us cheaply with AK, so I think more often than not I'd find a call on this turn and reevaluate the river, most probably folding to any 3rd barrel of 1/2+.
    • YUKNOW
      The following text might ruin the unbiased opinion of the hand judge about the hand, please maybe read it after evaluation :f_p:

I do agree but I had that read on him, I was sure he was hesitating on betting, bet sizing and then calling my raise, because he wasn't sure he had the best hand, not because he didn't know how big a value bet to make.

Thing is, with the raise, I was hoping to push him off TT or even JJ, cause I saw he was hesitant and wasn't a bad player and he might do it cause it was the 2nd 4 and my image was very loose and I could have A4, 45, or have flopped a straight...other reason was to have a free showdown vs overcards (and get some value against them, maybe, cause they wouldn't bet or call anything when the river doesn't help them) + generate fold equity (against TT and JJ). The 6h on the river maybe was a good barrel card though, but I couldn't do it. I thought he had QQ+ and wasn't folding to an all in bet from me after investing so much, but this assumption might be wrong, I don't know. I guess I can always twist it in my mind to make some sick sense, and in the end it's just NL5 and complicated plays don't really have a place there, sometimes I even think it makes my game worse after a point cause I start thinking like players even fishier than me :f_confused: I'm confused....lol
    • YUKNOW
    • EmanuelC16
      I think your call is fin preflop. You put in .33 to potentially win 7.6 so you have very good implied odds for hitting a set. On the flop you have the overpair and he would cbet 100% of his 3betting range on any board to represent KK+. A call is fine, even if it's a potsize bet. On the turn he bets so small that he can have anything. As stated before by raising the worst hand you keep may be AhKh. So I would go for a call and probably call any <=1/2 pot bet if the river is a blank, else fold or raise if I hit the third 9.
    • Kaitz20
      I would also call pf
      Flop: i think you´re littlebit deep to raise and get all-in, so i think I´d also prefer flatting
      Turn: since he bet so small I think your line, raise for value and if he calls then take your free showdown. You can try to bluff him out bigger overpairs by shoving river, but people usually doesn´t like folding overpairs so i think checking back is fine