Reviewing your sessions

• pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      I recently got SnGWiz and I started to review my games with it. Before I was just using ICM trainer to check my push/fold game.

Now my question is:
      How do you guys review your sessions? Do you use ICM trainer, pokerstove and a normal calculator for calculating pot odds and equity?

I saw the video where chenny? (I'm not sure) explains how to use the Wiz and starts to review some tournaments. Do you do any different?
  • 13 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I'll have to go watch that video later, but definitely do not rely on SNG Wizard's automatic analysis alone. It is ok to check every hand SNG Wizard flags as wrong, but also check many hands SNG Wizard says are correct. Not only are the default ranges far off, SNG Wizard also does not flag missed shoves for over 10 BB. I believe SNG Wizard will not complain if you open-fold AA for 10.1 bb.

Some programs like HEM let you mark a hand as you play. I recommend trying to mark a few decisions you think are interesting, whether they were your decisions or not. Then analyze those hands more carefully later.

I use a replayer to flip through all hands in few tournaments. When an interesting situations comes up, I sometimes analyze the hand with SNG Wizard, sometimes my program ICM Explorer plus PokerStove, and sometimes with a Nash calculator. I also try to use a database program to analyze what typical or specific opponents' ranges might be in a situation.

You also might want to look up an opponent or two on Sharkscope or a similar website if that is permitted by the poker server where you play. If a player is making a lot of plays you wouldn't, it could be that he is playing better than you, or it could be a leak. Checking on Sharkscope can help you to distinguish between those.
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Hey phzon, I play a decent amount of tables and afaik I can only mark hands using HEM after they're completed. Do you know if there's a way to mark hands while they're going? I play stacked so I end up missing a lot of hands I'd like to mark =p

Not sure if I was clear enough.

@OP, I usually mark hands and analyze them with SNGWiz or Holdem Resources Nash calculator, then post on forums if I still have questions.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      check this out: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/36/stt-strategy/3k-post-how-learn-good-them-sngs-tl-dr-625856/

It's a review guide from Hood, an allround respected SNG player with links to his blog and usefull software.
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      Thanks for the link, some good information and nice ideas.
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Originally posted by viewer88
      check this out: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/36/stt-strategy/3k-post-how-learn-good-them-sngs-tl-dr-625856/

It's a review guide from Hood, an allround respected SNG player with links to his blog and usefull software.
      Thanks, found a script for what I wanted there.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Hi pzhon, I have try to find an instructions guide somewhere about your software (ICM Explorer) but I cannot find anything about it.
      Also, you talking about a cooperation between ICMExplorer and Pokerstove;
      there is a possibility that you may give us a bit of more details on how to extract max value out the studying of the SNGs by using your ICMExplorer and how you associate the Pokerstove to it.
      It will be great if you can spend few line on that topic.
      Thx :heart:

P.S. I cannot access Cardrunners.com (at least for now :D ). TY ;)
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kiromanAAKK
      Hi pzhon, I have try to find an instructions guide somewhere about your software (ICM Explorer) but I cannot find anything about it.
      You can download it from http://www.icmexplorer.com .

There is a built-in tutorial for each of the main buttons. Choose a button from the tutorial dropdown on the left. Perhaps the one which is most useful is the "Call Push?" button.

For example, in some situation, you may find that you need 55% equity against your opponent's range to call a push. You can put a range for your opponent into PokerStove, and see what equity each hand has against it. You can also ask the PokerStrategy Equilator which hands have 55% equity against that range.

I mention ICM Explorer in some of my posts in the forums and in videos, but I will also consider making a video concentrating on using ICM Explorer.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      TY Sir :heart:
    • gutocrapula
      gutocrapula
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by pzhon
      Originally posted by kiromanAAKK

I mention ICM Explorer in some of my posts in the forums and in videos, but I will also consider making a video concentrating on using ICM Explorer.
      I would like this... downloaded icm explorer but couldn't figure out how to read it...

Thx
    • ChoChikun
      ChoChikun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      You can also ask the PokerStrategy Equilator which hands have 55% equity against that range.
      I'm not sure this is working very well. I think Equilator have bug at Min Equity calc.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ChoChikun
      I'm not sure this is working very well. I think Equilator have bug at Min Equity calc.
      Could you give an example?

Suppose we put someone who pushes on a range of 22+ A5s+ A8o+ KQ. Which hands have at least 55% equity against this?

Handrange with greater equity than 55%:

Player 1: 22+, A5s+, KQs, A8o+, KQo
      99+
      ---
      AQs+
      ---
      AKo

We can check the boundary cases in PokerStove. Against this range, here are the equities of particular hands:

88: 54.316%
      99: 57.627%
      AQo: 53.912%
      AQs: 56.126%
      AKo: 58.087%

It appears that the range 99+ AQs+ AKo calculated by Equilator is correct.
    • ChoChikun
      ChoChikun
      Bronze
      You are checking hands, but we are here talking about ranges?

Put in Equilator:
      Player 1: 22+ A5s+ A8o+ KQ
      vs.
      Player 2: 99+, AQs, AK

P1 vs. P2: 35%:64%

What I think it is bug, is that Equilator is not giving good answer on question "Calculate handrange with minimum equity of 55%?" because (99+, AQs, AK) have 64% against (22+ A5s+ A8o+ KQ).

It appears that the range 99+ AQs+ AKo calculated by Equilator is correct.
      You didnt show this. You show that every hand in that range have 55%+ equity.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      That is not a bug. Equilator is answering the right question. You want every hand you play to be profitable. It does not help to know how wide your range would have to be to have 55% equity.

Let's suppose your opponent is pushing ATC, and you need 50% equity for calling to be as good as folding. Which hands should you play? If you play every hand, then your range will have 50% equity by symmetry. Calling 100% is just as good as folding everything including AA. However, you should eliminate unprofitable hands like 84o. Only play the hands like K2o which have enough equity against your opponent's range, and this strategy will be much better than folding everything.