Hopey
      Bronze
      $0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      BB = ($5.00)
      CO (Hero) = ($3.50)
      BU = ($5.44)
      SB = ($12.00)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q :club: , Q :diamond: .
      Hero raises to $0.15, BU folds, SB calls $0.13, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.35) 2 :heart: , 8 :diamond: , J :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.15, SB calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.65) 9 :diamond:( 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.35, SB raises to $1.70, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.

Was this the right fold? Could I have played the hand better?

Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I would bet more on the flop on turn for starters. On the turn he could do that with a lot of hands. But most of them don't beat you. I think I would call IF I had a full stack. Here you should shove it imo, but from now on always play with >=100bb! You have very good equity against his range and if he has 1-2 bluffs with something like 33d your equity increases a lot.

Equity Win Tie Loss Hand
      Player 1: 62,744% 62,100% 1,288% 36,612% QdQc
      Player 2: 37,256% 36,612% 1,288% 62,100% 88+, 22, A2s+, KJs+, QTs, AJo, KJo, QTo
    • AmAsu
      AmAsu
      Basic
      Bet more on the flop, like was said before, but I disagree with the turn.

Think about it - of the hands that he called the flop with, how many have you beat on the turn? Answer - a LOT! You should be glad he checked it and gave you the chance to check it back. Didn't you hate it that you had to throw away your overpair and straight flush draw?

You have position, so you can easily decide what to do on the river. For example, if river bricks and he checks you can fire a small value bet to get value from a J. If he bets you can call with what you used to bet on the turn (when you were forced out of your hand).

The point is you're exposing yourself to a tough decision when you bet on such a connected board, especially when you have some redraws which could crack his made hand. Don't force yourself out of the hand - plenty of draws got there, play it small from now on.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Betting flop is must do and must do solid, there are plenty of draws you want to charge. As on turn you may b/f and I think giving up against c/r is totally fine and I would do the same as c/c flop and c/r is more like hand here then just a bluff and you overpair should be beat a lot here.
      But overall I think checking back turn is an option and call river if he doesn't go nuts as it will cost approximatively the same, but you may bust some one pair hands or get your straight flush and stack him. :s_biggrin:
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Indeed bet more on the flop, to charge people who want to see exactly that kind of turn card.

On the turn, the more loose/passive he is the more you should just bet/fold that turn for value, since loose/passive players will still show up with lots of Jx/T9/random pair+diamond or floats with a big diamond that they'll call another valuebet with on the turn and have a decent amount of outs against you. If however villain looks capable of folding stuff like Jx on that ugly turn, you're usually better off checking it back since his check/continuing range will be narrow enough that you're actually behind it with your QQ for the time being.

As played after he raised there isn't much you can do unless you think he's capable of really bluffing there to represent the diamond, even if he's bluffing with a few hands it usually won't be enough to make up for the time he has a better hand.

Hope it helps.