[NL2-NL10] 0.02/0.04 No-Limit AQSB

• ukwagon
      I thought he was on a steal, but when he called my 3bet I put him PP, so I checked his big bet on flop looks like a bluff or a monster so folded

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.86 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:spade: , Q:spade:
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.12, BU folds, Hero raises to $0.36, BB folds, CO calls $0.24.

Flop: ($0.76) 2:diamond: , 2:club: , 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.49 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $3.25

Played okay or should of played it differently?
  • 4 replies
    • AmAsu
      I'll give two responses here:

1. The simple one - don't forget you're playing 4NL, where there's absolutely no need to get in weird spots and thinking weather or not you should call a 3xpot all-in with no pair no draw no backdoor in a 3bet pot. Just stop for a second and read that phrase again and you'll see there's really one answer to your question - 4NL, no pair, no draw, no backdoor, calling 3xpot. Sure, when you'll move up the ladder there will be spots when you will actually have to think about something like this, but 4NL is NOT the stake for that.

2. The not so simple one. You're risking 2.5 for a pot of 3.25, so you have to win the pot in about 44% of the time to break even. And that's breaking even with a lot of variance (and totally unnecessary variance, I might add, it's not like you're putting it in with a monster combo draw and you're flipping). Ok, so you have to win it in about 44% of the cases. When he turns up 44 or similar, you're about a 24% favourite. When he turns up TJ or some retarded bluff, now you're a 76% favourite (because now HE has 6 outs, not you, so he's got 24% chances). When he's got a flush draw he's like 33%, but we can average those out to 24% with the cases when he's got something like Ax or Qs and only has 3 outs instead of 6.

- he has 44 etc - you have 24%
      - he has anything else - you have 76%

So here's the idea - how often must he have something different than a pocket pair (in other words, how often do you have to be a 76% favourite) for this kinda call to be neutral EV? Let's say that x%

x * 76 + (1-x) * 24 >= 44% (because 44% is the 0EV point we calculated above), and this translates into x >= 40%

I'm not sure if you understood that or not, but the bottom line is this:

He has to show up with a non-pair hand in over 40% of the cases for your high variance call to be neutral EV. That's too much in my opinion, especially at 4NL where you have no need for this kinda calls..
    • Duudalinja
      I like 3betting and I like fold. AmAsu already explained that in details, but I like calling situations where I have a bit more equity than just plain overcards. You may be good here, you may be not. If I have gutshot or any kind of draw I would not hesitate much, but I don't feel like flipping here too often as he may easily b/c pre with a lot of pp he's shoving just because it's 3bet pot and he thinks you gonna call with whatever you have.
    • EmanuelC16
      Great explanation from "IhavetheAce" (AmAsu) :f_biggrin: . Simple answer for micros is fold on the flop even if faced with less than 3xpot shove. You just don't win enough and it's 0EV most of the times which is just wasting your time if it doesn't create table image or something.
    • Kaitz20
      I think better is always keep aggression and c-bet in 3-bet pot especially when board is quite dry 228 to 0.4$
      he should fold there often enough to make c-bet profitable and if you don´t hit your A or Q you can consider c/f turn
      as played: c/f to shove is fine