[NL2-NL10] KK vs. utg limper, villain check raises flop, shoves turn

• alenstrat
      I've guess we've all seen this dumbpuck play line a million times in the micros. UTG limper with AA, check 3 bet preflop or check raises flop. Well I don't know what the guy had because I folded. Below is the hand.

Villain is 10/2 over 300 hands. So basically his whole range is all pairs, AK AQ and AJ. I assume his 2% he raises is AA KK QQ AK, or maybe even limps quite a few of those too. The rest, mostly pocket pair he limps.

So I thought the only possible thing he could be playing this way was AA or a set.

So, was this a good fold? Or I can't fold KK vs. that stack size with the pot already at $5.50?

The alternative play lines I thought about, were

1) I could have shoved his check raise on the flop to avoid anymore decision or getting bluff shoved

2) 3bet on the flop to be 100% sure he had something (we'd assume a shove as him really having something)

Or of course, there is the 3rd option which is the one I did take. Just calling the checkraise in position to see if I got lucky and hit my K on the turn and fold if the aggression continued (ie a shove)

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, K.
      UTG1 calls $0.10, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 2 folds, UTG1 calls $0.40, MP1 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.65) T, 5, 2 (3 players)
      UTG1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.90, UTG1 raises to $2.00, MP1 folds, Hero calls $1.10.

Turn: ($5.65) 8 (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $5.48(All-In), Hero folds, UTG1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.65.
  • 5 replies
    • alenstrat
      BTW should I post my comments/what I thought after a judge has evaluated the hand, so as not to bias the comments or is it ok that I post my thought process along with the hand?
    • minihulk22
      like a wise user told me on this forum , c/r could mean air/set , if he is 10/2 my guess is that he has a set , I think that his shove on the turn maintenance the ideea .
    • EmanuelC16
      Too often he has set. Laying it down on the flop is hard, but the turn is a puke+fold move.
    • Duudalinja
      Situation sucks as he may have QQ/JJ, but I'm not sure if he's going crazy here with them and it more looks like set here. If he's capable of doing such a play with QQ/JJ you are ahead of his range, if he's not doing it you are way behind. But I would include QQ in his preflop raising range, so it leaves us with JJ, but it still looks too blurry for me. Usually nits have nuts when they start acting crazy, so I think folding is fine. If you feel he could have JJ/QQ - 3bet flop and try to get it in as he's not the player who's bluffing too often to wait any longer.
    • Kaitz20
      QQ/JJ would often limp/raise pf
      So that leaves either sets or maybe some kind of draws
      I think you either have to b/f or bet/shove flop, since pot is getting very big
      If you think he is bluffing there enough times then bet/shove
      As played: I would call his turn shove, since if you´re ahead on the flop, you should also be on the turn