[NL2-NL10] set of 9s beats my 2 pair A6. Did i mess up?

• PapaShibby
      PapaShibby
      Bronze
      This hand frustrated me. I'm a bit new to SSS so i just wanted to check if i played this wisely and just got beat by bad luck or if i should have folded or done something different.

NL .02/.04

Position: BB
      Prelop: A :heart: 6 :heart:

Smooth called to see the flop. 3 people stayed in, no raises.

Flop: A :diamond: 6 :spade: 9 :heart:

I raise 2/3 the pot. 2 fold, 1 smooth calls.

Turn: Q :heart:

I raise 2/3 pot, he reraises, i push all in.

River: J :club:

He pulls out trip 9's, beats my two pair Aces 6s. I was pissed.

So i was thinking after the turn, possible flush. No real danger of him having a flush. Maybe a gut shot straight draw or a pocket pair. K or Q maybe. I figured i was pretty safe with top pair, and a second pair up. First all in push that i've lost doing SSS.

What do you think?
  • 6 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      You can´t play at NL 5 level SSS. Your hand is played fine.
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      Yeah you messed up, but not because of your cards.

You messed up because you are playing shortstack on a 0.04$ table, where you have to buyin with 40BBs. Hence, when you do that you are effectively being a Big stack. Since you are bronze, and don't have access to the big stack strategy you are out of league.
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      As a Short Stack you want to go All-In with that hand. But as the other users already said. Do not play on a limit where the minimum Buy-In is 40 Big Blinds.
    • PapaShibby
      PapaShibby
      Bronze
      I can see where you're coming from, Buy in being 40BB, but if i found a table that was NL5 with the majority of the people with larger stacks (5.00+), it felt like a smarter move. I'd still get my 2.50+ requirement to leave the table relatively quickly, and the blinds were much smaller so the chance of having to rebuy at 1.50 is reduced. Probably just a rookie mistake and i shoud be a man and just go to NL10, but under certain situations (full table, higher stacks) i felt like it was the right move.

Other than the possibility that i'd be considered the large stack, what are the negatives to this?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Nothing, but then it is half BSS play:) . If you feeling more comfirtable, then maybe you should play bigger stack to get better value for bad players.
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      You think in a completely wrong way here. First of all the SSS is designed to take away the post flop play or minimize it to take away the implied odds of opponents with hands like pocket pairs and if your stack is 40BB you give them more then double the implied odds after a raise since with a real short stack after say a 4bb raise you have 16bb behind and with 40bb you have 36 behind.
      You also think in terms of dollars which is wrong you should think in terms of big blinds. That means that if you would play 0,02/0,04 you would not reload at $1,50 but at $0,80 and you would leave the table with $1,20 not $2,50 and since this is less than the min buy in you can´t play at all.