[NL2-NL10] 86s -> 3 barrel bluff

• gutshotstraightdraw
      gutshotstraightdraw
      Bronze
      Hero $98
      BB $151.20

0.50/1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6:diamond: , 8:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, SB folds, BB calls $3.00.

Flop: ($8.50) Q:spade: , 8:club: , 3:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $6, BB calls $6.00.

Turn: ($20.50) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $14, BB calls $14.00.

River: ($48.50) T:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $35, BB calls $35.00.

Final Pot: $118.50

What do you think about this "3 barrel bluff"?
  • 3 replies
    • Riverman1984
      Riverman1984
      Basic
      Why do you bet the river again? What about your opponent? Was he tight? or passive? I need more information here, I guess.
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      Well, you need reads of villain and reads of how other players see your image on the table to judge it in my opinion. On the flop I don't see him calling with anything but Qx , 99-JJ (unlike as he didn't 3-bet pf), or a flushdraw after flop call.

Preflop and flop actions look good to me. If I have reads that SB and/or BB calls often my pf bets from button, I just like to call this kind of hand pf and use my position to take the pot postflop.

Turn card doesn't change anything and you're likely to get called here aswell if you bet (it could be different thing if you had bet pf from UTG instead of BU). Maybe you could present flushdraw here and check yourself and bet again on river if 3rd clubs comes there and villain checks (ace would also be a good scarecard to bluffbet river), this would also save you some money. Personally I try to avoid losing a lot of my stack to a bluff without reads of villain.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Use the advantage of position and check behind the turn. You have some showdown value even and he might bluff a busted FD on the river like that.
      But thats about the only thing that you are beating after his call on that flop.

Btw there is not much point on commenting these hands without opponent reads. Whether this bluff will be +EV or not depends mostly on your opponent.
      Against unknown in this situation i would skip it.