[NL2-NL10] pocket 99

• dragonste
      dragonste
      Gold
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd, hands go to http://www.pokerstrategy.com/en/articles/182/?referer=grabem_hand)
      Position(Stack):
      BBvsSteal WTS W$SD ORL
      RaisePreflop hands AF vp$ip

SB (1.57):
      0 33 67 0
      7 29 1.3 41UTG2 (5.62)

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.87 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with 9d, 9c
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 5 folds, SB calls $0.18, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.45) Jc, 4s, 4d (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.3, SB calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.05) Td (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.75, SB calls $0.75.

River: ($2.55) 7h (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $2.55
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I'd play it the same postflop. It's hard to think he'd fold any PP, maybe even any A on that flop so betting the turn is good for value + protection. I would bet less though... .60 should do it because the board isn't draw heavy at all. River obvious check behind, he would call Tx or better imo. Seldom 88 or 77, it's not worth exposing yourself to a bluff with a medium hand such as 99 here. Wp!

Oh, pre I raise it 3xbb as it makes raising with small PPs cheaper and bluff cbet costs less. Yes, value cbet is less too, but 65% or more I'm cbetting less than pair so it's worth it... For me at least...
    • dragonste
      dragonste
      Gold
      cheers that sounds great

an thank for the 3xbb tip i use that one for the really small ones like 5s under u think i should do it for the higher pair such as 9s lower instead?

shame the guy turned over a pair of Qs tho,
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I raise 3xbb standard, any hand I want to play first in, any position. If you would make that 3x only with smaller PPs, sooner or later someone will notice that and 3bet you more often with weaker holdings. I'm not saying you should change it. If it's working for you that's great, I was only mentioning an alternative... :)

Of course, I'm raising often and I get 3bet my fair share of times because of this but that's why I get paid off with AA preflop or the nuts on the flop. You just have to find your rhythm and focus on improving in any aspect you can (mindset, preflop, postflop, hand reading skills, etc.)
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      I agree that mostly betting turn is fine as that may give you free river and if you are getting raised - easy fold. There are more Jx combos then 66-88, but I think he will bet often Jx on river and check 66-88 so it means loosing value against worse hands and giving him chance to bet his better hands.
      Checking back turn is not a sin, but I don't feel comfortable if I have to decide on river whether I want to call 3/4 to pot bet after I showed weakness on turn.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Both options are fine on the turn since villain is loose enough to have turned gutshot+overcard hands with random flop floats.

As for the raise sizing thing preflop, I just prefer to 4x everything at microstakes since when you have a skill edge over your opponents, making better decisions in bigger pots will yield more profits than making better decisions in smaller pots. There will come a time when having deeper stacks and stuff in position will make it worth your while to keep the pot smaller when you're in late position, but that's mostly against thinking players whom you can credibly try to outmanoeuver.

Hope it helps.