This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] raise for value?

• cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $8.51
      UTG1:
      $10.00
      UTG2:
      $9.01
      MP1:
      $10.15
      MP2:
      $10.55
      MP3 (Hero):
      $13.51
      CO:
      $12.26
      BU:
      $3.60
      SB:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, K.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) 9, K, 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.70, BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.95.

opponent is loose with 66% vpip. 32 hands. looks like a fish. what to do in this hand? he really couldnt hit much on the board, neither does he have many outs if he was going to go for a 2 pair. if i raise for value, he is unlikely to hold the K and fold, yet if i call and give him a cheap card, he might hit his 2 pair. i was thinking i could raise but a smaller amount to sucker him in.
  • 2 replies
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      I think it's fine. You have a hand you want go get value with and you can't let him slip through flop with minbet. He may not have any hand, he may have something - but you don't wanna give him free cards overall. Your hand is good, but not invincible.
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Hey!

I'd raise smaller. As a rule of thumb, you can treat a mindonkbet as a check.

In this flop for example, if you were going to bet 60c as a cbet, just raise him to 60c. ;-)

He can still call with many hands, such as Kx, 9x, gutshots

Cheers!