[NL2-NL10] JJ on dry board reraised

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
      MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.40, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.35, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.9) 5, K, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, MP2 raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $6.00, MP2 calls $2.95.

Turn: ($11.35) 3 (2 players)

River: ($11.35) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $11.35.

opponent has 38/24 with agg 3, 21 hands. i was thinking he was going to raise with tonnes of rubbish and i was likely to be ahead. at the same time, on this board, it was really hard for him to re-raise with anything but the K. i was thinking i could do a CRAI. or perhaps a check/call, bet turn line. or should i give up to the re-raise on the flop? does the early position raise signal a range of hands very much stronger than mine? should i have 3bet pre-flop? and go all in?
  • 4 replies
    • Duudalinja
      He seems loose enough to raise a lot of worse hands here, so I like 3betting - it will make your decisions easier postflop given his stack size.
      As played I may fold to his raise or shove - it's hard to say as if he's capable of raising FD or lower pp's like this - shoving is fine, but overall Kx is definitely in his range so I tend to fold here overall.
      Not sure bout this tho.
    • EmanuelC16
      3bet pre imo. As played preflop, I would c/c flop. As played flop I fold to raise.
    • johnbeattie85
      +1 3bet pre.

You can't really conclude anything about his post flop play from those stats. It's the sort of spot where I'm not that happy to get all in since we are dominated by a whole lot of stuff. Would just bet/fold. If you do find out that he is crazy I would much rather bet/call flop then call turn, or check/call down. This is just to ensure that you get his stack the times he is bluffing, rather than making him fold bluffs by shoving flop.
    • caltabiano
      21 hands is no sample size to take any conclusions!

Just 3b and get it in pre against a midstacker.

As played, I'd just c/c this flop, as it's fairly dry and he's liekly to cb 100% of his range. By betting, you give him the chance of folding all of his air.

So, betting only makes sense if you want to induce a bluff raise, in which case you must know that he's the kind of guy who will bluff raise you. And in that case, I'd just call the raise and c/c T again.

But that's a bit too complicated. c/c is the best play IMO. Donking to induce a raise is too dubious a move, without some very good history with the player.