Live game BRM + online BRM formula

• Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

I am wondering what kind of a BRM should we use when playing live cash games, something like 4/8 or 6/12? Considering we have an edge over the players there. Please state if there is a difference for SH/FR.

Primzi
  • 4 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I dont see how it would be any diffrent from if you where 1 tabling online. So atleast 10BI (FR) or 15BI (SH) to begin with. Using a 20BI (FR) or 30BI (SH) rule should be fine...i would think.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Err so how much is a BI in FL? :f_confused:

I'm kind of looking for some coaches' advice who have some theoretical examples to back their opinions up - is there a formula for FL BRM similar to the one for MTTs which tells you how many BIs do you need regarding to the comfort lvl, amount of players, etc.? It should be something that includes the comfort level, number of tables you play simultaneously and the skill level of the players.

I am also wondering if the formula exists, can we use it for online poker as well as live games?

Ahh, been wondering how bronze members can even see this... Forgot that there was a promotion so that this isn't actually gold :) .

Ty.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      If I were talking to you, I would suggest that BRM is BRM is BRM. Consider, what different BRM would you use for .10/.20 when you know you can smoke 1/2?

In the end your BRM is a function of variance and your comfort level. If you thought that the standard of play in a specific game was very weak, then your comfort level increases.

TBH if I were considering this, I'd be shot taking if I thought the games were of a poor standard (compared to online) and be prepared to take some beatings if negative variance showed up. If I were considering this from a pro perspective, then I'd go conservative and use a solid buffer.

How much do you have, how big a swings can you expect, how comfortable are you about losing/moving down limits?

But I'm not talking to you, so I won't suggest any of this. :f_frown:
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      BTW, BRM formula courtesy of pzhon (what I said but harder):

For bankroll management, there is a general formula which applies across poker variants. This lets you create a razz-equivalent to whatever amount you use for NL hold'em or STTs or LO8.

Bankroll = Comfort x (Standard Deviation^2) / Win Rate.

Comfort is a parameter which measures your personal risk tolerance and your ability/willingness to move down when you hit a streak of bad luck. A comfort level of 2 is generally considered aggressive. A comfort of 4 is generally considered conservative.

I hope your tracking software reports your standard deviation. This is a measure of the typical swings in a period of play.

Your win rate depends on your skill and the softness of the games. If you are a marginal winner, due to mediocre skill or tough games, then you need a much larger bankroll than someone with a high win rate. This is one reason a fixed number of big bets does not fit everyone, or even the same person who moves up.

For example, if you choose a comfort level of 3, your standard deviation is 12 BB/100, and your win rate is 2 BB/100, then the formula suggests that you should have a bankroll of 3 x (12^2)/2 = 216 BB. If your win rate is 0.5 BB in the same games, then you need 864 BB. If you fall below the recommended amount, that's ok, but you should move down before your bankroll drops to half of the recommended level, at which point you would view playing as an expense rather than a way to build your bankroll.