How close should I follow SSS?

• SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Since I do understand the importance of statistics and percentages, I was under the impression that the more closely you will follow the SSS, the more you will win, because in the long run odds will start to work in your favour.

Today I started to check out the hand evaluation forums and noticed that most of the hands evaluated had NOT been following SSS. Most of the hands were from NL10 and there were 0.30$ and 0.35$ raises (should be 0.40$), there were stacks higher than 6.00$ (should be 2.50$), there were calls, there were cbets not consistent with 2/3 pot or all-in approach.

Basically every hand had something contradicting with what I have read so far being able to access strategy articles up to Silver level. I even checked the name of the forum - it did say SSS.

So my question is:

Were those advanced players or those were mistakes? Am I making a mistake by trying to follow the SSS very closely?
  • 3 replies
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      No answers? ?(
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SilverSag
      I was under the impression that the more closely you will follow the SSS, the more you will win, because in the long run odds will start to work in your favour.
      You only make money in poker if you make less mistakes than your opponent. If your raise sizes and betting patterns cause him to make perfect (+EV) decisions against you then you lose. (This rarely happens at NL10.)

Most of the hands were from NL10 and there were 0.30$ and 0.35$ raises (should be 0.40$)
      An advanced player would be basing his raise size on many factors. All three raise sizes are certainly valid. (Between 3-4x the BB.)

there were stacks higher than 6.00$ (should be 2.50$)
      Just like in a tournament you can adjust your game as your stack size differs relative to the other players and the blinds. Old buying short strategies were devised around the idea that you would stay on the same table and adjust your hand ranges as your stack size increased. They might have trippled up and are just waiting for the blind to come around. Maybe they are just making a terrible, horrible mistake.

there were calls, there were cbets not consistent with 2/3 pot or all-in approach.
      I don't know if it is a valid SSS approach or not, but 1/2 pot c-bets are a pretty common strategy at micro and small stakes.

Were those advanced players or those were mistakes?
      My guess is that it depends on the hand, the opponents, the relative stack sizes, and all the other components that go into a poker hand. Obviously since they are hands posted seeking advice some portion of the play will likely contain mistakes.

(Disclaimer: I quit SSS after stalling out at NL50. I'm much happier playing at NL10 full stacked for higher hourly rates.)
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Thank you very much :)