new SHC <-> old SHC

• DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      Hi

I started playing poker about a few weeks ago. I used the SHC that was available at that time.

About a week ago a new SHC was released. I tried switching to the new SHC but I couldn't help but notice some big differences!

An example:
      I'm UTG and have KQs in pockets.
      According to the old SHC I should raise.
      According to the new SHC I should fold.

That's a big difference isn't it?

For now I'm sticking with the old SHC, because I simply can't imagine that folding with this hand is the right decision.

I'm curious what more experience players think about this. Any comments?
  • 7 replies
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      I started a thread yesterday regarding folding KQs, and in the same situation it says to raise with KQo.

It does seem very strange. Hopefully someone will let us know the reasoning behind it.

Until then I don't think I'll be folding KQs in middle position when it's folded to me, I'm giving up too much equity.

I'll carry on raising! :)
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      Funny that we are talking about the same hand, because I've seen more hands that are different between the 2 SHC's.

The old SHC says to limp with KTo, QJo, QTo and even JTo in an unraised pot from late position. The new SHC says to fold all those hands!
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Hey have a question to regarding this toppic. Im playing some Fullring again beside my SSS game until i clear the fulltilt bonus with SSS.

But im using the really old SHC chart witch always worked well for me. Whats with this new chart? What are the differences>?

Edit: ciRith i see u saying in another thread that its not profitable anymore to limp first in? So the new SHC will be more profitable?
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      Anyone else think its odd to tell you to play JTs in the new SHC but not JTo
      when JTs only have a 1.5% edge? (flush / straight flush possibility)?
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      JTs is a much better hand than JTo. It has the potential to pay off big in a multiway pot.

JTo is one of most overplayed hands in holdem, a lot of people can't resist playing it, even out of position. I will only play it from the button or cutoff in an unraised pot.
    • mcmoe
      mcmoe
      Bronze
      yep, even if you make a pair with JT you'll be dominated very often and the worst scenario takes place if you hit twopair with JT and tend to overplay it in pots with big action – you'll almost always be up against a straight and drawing thin to 4 outs.

nevertheless the same advice should be considered when playing JTs, but the fact that it's suited adds much playability to this hand.

handstrength isn't always only about equity and numbers; very often a hand with a weak equity outweighs the pros of a strong-equity-hand just by playing well.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Could it be that the new SHC got updated a few days/weeks ago? KQs shoud be in in again.

@wilm: This depends on the game. In loose games it still is ok to limp first in but in tight games it's better to limp less first in because you might not get the correct odds for it.