Full-Timer Poker Advice?

• bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Hey everyone I'm going to be playing poker full-time for a year starting in a month. I am currently playing the $6.50 SNG's on PokerStars and I hope to grind my way up to Supernova status. My plan is to play SNG's until the $38s and $60s then switch over to cash games (maybe switch over sooner than that even).

I have a schedule planned out and a plan I'm going to follow. I'm not a poker natural by any means but I am always trying to learn and become a better player. With my determination and with the help from the PokerStrategy community I know I'll be able to achieve my goals. (I'd already like to thank lessthanthreee, bradomurder, Hlynkinn, and everyone else who posts on my hand reviews for all their help that they've so generously given me already).

Do any other full-time players (or other players too) have any advice for me? Any challenges I should prepare for (swings suck lol)?

For those who are interested my planned schedule (5 days a week) follows:

9AM - Wake up (do stretches, shower, eat breakfast, meditate)
      10AM - Learn for an hour (book reading, videos, coaching, etc.)
      11AM - 2 hour Session
      1PM - Lunch
      2PM - 2 hour Session
      4PM - Workout
      5PM - Dinner
      6PM - 4 hour Session
      10PM - Forums for half an hour
      1030PM - Chill out
      12AM - Sleep (need that 9 hours haha :D )

The other 2 days I'm going to be playing as I feel like (so I don't get burnt out and become unhappy while doing this).

Thanks to anyone who reads this and good luck at the tables!
  • 9 replies
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      sounds like a good schedule although i think u shouldmove up before u decide to take a year off for poker (unless u r some sort of sick 24 abler).
      A few changes i woud make r:
      1)start the day at 8am
      2)sleep at 11pm
      3)watch a poker video while eatng lunch
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      fewer, longer sessions IMO. it takes longer to start up and finish sessions when you're playing SNGs. when you switch over to cash i think you can get away with 2 hr sessions. and i'd probably work out before doing any grinding.

otherwise looks good! going to be very very tough for you because of the limit you're starting out at, but you seem to have at least the right mindset going in
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      I would have few comments...

Firstly I would ask my self couple of question...
      1) Do I have to play with scare money?
      2) Do I have sufficient money for living (for next let say 6 months)? (if not, you would be playing with scare money)
      3) Do I have proper mindset - am I ready put in hours even when I am loosing?
      4) Am I ready for variance?

I can tell you that nothing is worst than playing with scare money... It does not matter how much money you got in your BR, but if you have to pay mortage, etc. and have BR same size as your spare money you will not feel confortable by loosing 20%, 30% of your BR.
      But I do not really feel comfortable loosing $2k if my spare money is something like $3-4k.

You have to do everyting possible that you do not have to do care about money you need for next week, month or 2 months. Your only concern is have to play your best game that will eventually bring money in.

I would suggest buy some books on poker psychology if you already do not have them (e.g. Proffessional Poker - Mark Blade or The Poker Mindset - Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger)

Finally do not underestimate variance...

On $12 180 handed MTTs you will mostlikely in 5000 games encouter downswing that is $2-3k large (see reccomended BR is $2400)
      On STT you will on such sample size at some point up to 50BI.
      Read in some interview with SNE from Stars who grinded 2.5M hands in a year on NL100-200. Biggest downsing over 20BI, longest break even streak 100,000k hands (and he is solid winner with $160k/year)

My few points, hope it helped...

I am considering this option as well, but firstly I need $15k on my account as minimum to even start thinking about leaving my job.

Funktor
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Good luck. I would personally try hard to get all my poker done before 6pm, cause I like to have a life in the evenings and definately don't like feeling like I *have* to play. You're basically booking yourself from the moment you wake up to when you go to bed every day, and keeping that schedule will be very tough.

If you live in europe this will be at the cost of playing at primetime (you can still play in the evening if you want and have nothing else to do ofc), but atleast for me it is definately worth it.
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      The most important thing probably is to have a buffer money wise. As mentioned before it is recommended that you can live 6 month from your savings. Otherwise variance can hit you hard in the first month and you stand there without any money..
      Your schedule seems pretty full. What about groceries and household stuff. Do you have someone to takte care of that?
      I guess I would concentrate on playing during prime time than playing in the morning...
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I agree with previous poster that the 4 hours session of the evening looks crazy.

I would do a workout in the morning after studying then I would do the major session during afternoon.

You should leave yourself some times in the evening.

(Im not a pro but this is what I would do)
    • cataah
      cataah
      Bronze
      you want to play poker 8h and you want to study only 1h?
      I see a problem here. You should study more.
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for your replies and advice I really appreciate it. I realize I'm starting off at a low limit when going full time but fortunately I do have the financial comfort to handle this.

I like the idea of watching a poker video during lunch (making it 2 hours of studying a day), and doing my workout after my study session.

Thanks for the notes on variance Funktor. I am currently reading the Poker Mindset too btw :) (good book).

Maybe I will break it down into two four hour sessions depending on what I can work out. I find that my concentration dwindles the longer I play though but that should improve as I get used to it.

Thanks again for reading and commenting guys! :D
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      dont live by a regine...you'll get fed up and bored....when you want to play poker play poker and when you dont, dont. thats the beauty of playing poker. also you will play better if ur playing simply because you wana play poker!i would do your workout first thing in the morning...exercising early stimulates body and mind for the day ahead..hence better poker playing!good luck!