54 man Super Turbos

• Styr
      Am playing the $2.50+$0.20 Super Turbos at Full Tilt, and am wondering about the optimal strategy.

The players begin with 300 chips, and levels increase every three minutes, so waiting for premium hands is not an option most of the time.

*should I just sit back, and wait until the blinds have increased to a level, where there is enough money in the pot to steal it?
      *should I push on the blinds, and adjusting my range based on my reads I have on them?
      *should I push any speculative hands, i.e suited connectors in any position, and try to double up about 4 out of 10 times?

The second question.

Once I have made it to the final two tables, what should my shoving range be? I have so far excluded pocket pairs smaller than eights, unless on the cutoff. Should my showing range be wider? Then again, I am shoving quite loose on tight opponents.

An a third one.

What should my range be, when shoving over limpers? Any suited high card and better?

I have obviously done ICM training, and I keep training it. And it is always nice when people think I am insane when they do not understand the game. :)
      But what else should I be thinking of to improve my game?
  • 2 replies
    • pinnryder
      I think these tourneys are just about ICM. You need to have a very very solid ICM play to play these profitably. So I would focus on that more.
      I don't think you gain a huge advantage in stealing blinds.
      I would be quite agressive on the bubble. People are playing to tight in these tourneys especially when close to the money because they rather take first place in the money than risking it by defending their chips. Of course that is not true for all of the players so you still have to choose your opponents.
      So I think these tourneys are mainly about FE and ICM play but I haven't played them myself. I think I would get a heartattack if I would bust out in like 50 in a row always making the correct push...... ;)
    • pzhon
      I haven't looked at these tournaments before.

The ICM does not say you should play tightly early in the tournament. You are not risk-averse then. Your risk aversion tends to increase toward the bubble, although it depends on the stack sizes. Early on, do whatever gains chips.

There are times to push 76o. There are times to fold ATo. Pay attention to your position, since that affects the probability that someone will find a strong hand after you.

I believe you are undervaluing medium pocket pairs like 66. It is not that you want to take a coinflip to try to double up, but that the reward of taking the blinds is often worth the risk of running into a higher pair.

I suggest looking at the Nash calculator with prize structure set to 1. Since your opponents are not following the Nash strategies, you may not want to play them either. However, they give you an idea of how tightly you should push in early position versus late position, and which types of hands to push.