Are female players considered "pokerifically challenged"

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I just read the EPT news and started wondering...

I mean, on the major tournaments there are often separate sub-tournaments for the so called "ladies"? What's that about? As I understand the modern science has found that men and women are intellectual equals on average (or almost equal). Then why do women need a separate tourney? Isn't it kinda degrading? I mean, if there was a separate poker tourney for, lets say, black people of chinese or gay, the person that organized it would be sued for sure, man!

Anybody? Why do women have separate tourneys?
  • 27 replies
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      As I understand the modern science has found that men and women are intellectual equals on average
      HOW DARE YOU
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Mfhzf7dsI
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Gentlemen, please keep the spam where it belongs: In some forum other than ours :P

On a more serious note, I'm guessing it's the same as with all "typical man activities": Women in general don't seem to have such a high interest in Poker which obviously leads to less female pros in comparison to men. I would say, though, that if a woman plays poker, she's better than your average male player :)

Hadi
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hadi
      I would say, though, that if a woman plays poker, she's better than your average male player :)
      I would have to agree with this.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hadi
      Gentlemen, please keep the spam where it belongs: In some forum other than ours :P

On a more serious note, I'm guessing it's the same as with all "typical man activities": Women in general don't seem to have such a high interest in Poker which obviously leads to less female pros in comparison to men. I would say, though, that if a woman plays poker, she's better than your average male player :)

Hadi
      This is all great, but - with all due respect - you didn't answer my question. Why do women need separate tournaments? Anybody?
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I would say, though, that if a woman plays poker, she's better than your average male player :)
      Hadi
      In addition to my last post - this sentence doesn't make sense at all. I'm aware that you are a headadmin and all, but this still sound like rubbish to me. Every poker playing woman is better than an average male player!?

I think what youre trying to say is that an average female player is better than an average male player. And if that's what you are trying to say - based on what? Based on some really good female pros? I think theres a serious selective attentiveness issue going on here. If someone sees a woman play great poker he'll remember it and hold important because it contradicts the popular belief that women aren't that good at poker.

Statistics please! We need somebody with numbers here...
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      I think that organisers run separate female only tournaments to try to attract more women into the game.
      What other explanation is there? I guess that female pros are more than happy to compete in open tournaments and its likely that the male dominated organisations that run the female tournaments think the little ladies dont want to mix it with the men.
      Utter crap of course.
      Poker is one game where women and men can and should compete equally.
      As you say, otherwise lets have male only tournaments or the world series of dwarf poker or something.
      Its just not right
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      In chess there are separate titles and tournaments for women. The only really good female chess player is Judit Polgar. With the rating system in chess, it's easy to see whether the women are any good, and they generally aren't. Don't ask me why not.

BTW, I think the world series of dwarf poker is an excellent idea!
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Hadi
      I think what youre trying to say is that an average female player is better than an average male player. And if that's what you are trying to say - based on what? Based on some really good female pros? I think theres a serious selective attentiveness issue going on here. If someone sees a woman play great poker he'll remember it and hold important because it contradicts the popular belief that women aren't that good at poker.
      Because it can be seen across a variety of male dominated disciplines that the female participants often are above average since only those with a very high interest will take the leap and mingle amongst mostly male competitors. It would, however, be quite interesting to know the percentage of Diamonds for our female and male users - let's see if we can get that ;)

Hadi
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      An EPT side event for black people would indeed be hilarious
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      There'd be more publicity if it was for white people only.
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Originally posted by rhinoneil
      I think that organisers run separate female only tournaments to try to attract more women into the game.
      its likely that the male dominated organisations that run the female tournaments think the little ladies dont want to mix it with the men.
      just that and also havent u ever heard of clubs having "ladies nights"?
      it is just to attract more women+then more men come+start drinkin while watching and buying drinks=profit.

also some women who might wanna give it a shot might not feel comfy to start in a FR table filled with d###s.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      There'd be more publicity if it was for white people only.
      What a great idea! The organizers of this event would simply claim that thet wanted to attract more white people to poker. Besides, maybe some of the white people new to poker wouldn't feel comfortable sitting in a table with bunch of not-so-white people!

ROFL :D
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Wasn't there a study conducted about the differences in the male and female brain? And teh conclusion was that whilst women generally have a more subjective mind based on emotions, men have an objective, logical mind based on what they see? Unless i've just completely made that up i'd guess that contributes a lot towards interest in poker.
    • Joenaes
      Joenaes
      Black
      Originally posted by ihufa
      /me places a bet on Ivey
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I think it's because they think differently. That is they are more emotional. As an exageration, is much more interesting for a woman to see a puppy with big eyes versus make 100$.

It was interesting to see the 2008 (?) WSOPE champion, a dudette of 18 years, talk about her strategy. She basically said she played after her intuition and feeling of the game.

I don't know about you but i care a lot more about percentages then this stuff. Oh, and men are absurdly stubborn, which is great for improving your game.
    • cjchalmers
      cjchalmers
      Silver
      Originally posted by AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Oh man that's so sexist but hilarious ... I laughed out loud when i saw this...

My view on this topic is that on average women don't make as good poker players because on an average they are simply too nice...

The same go's for blokes tho... some are just too nice to crush the game, but the percentage of these guys is much smaller... We men are just arseholes most of the time and that helps a lot LOL...

Every time i look up the pro's on stars Veronica Dabul is crushing high stakes MTT's she impresses me sooooo much ....

My two cents ... and ladies I love ya ....

Edit : I get crushed at my local by a female reg .... Tho she swings for the other side... Not sure if she still classes as female lol ... Oh and if she knows me and reads this ... I love ya too x (just stop taking my money pls)

Edit #2: Pls inform me if i am spamming ... first ever use of any forum :) ... don't want to be a rule breaker.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlCaTrAzzALZ
      /thread

Edit : On another note I am totally against ladies only tournament....It doesn't seem fair to me.