The (micro) Grind

• fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Hey, this is the first blog ive ever done, so ill try to introduce myself.

Im an 18 year old whos just finished sixth form. I've been around this community now for a fair few months, but not really got involved all that much, just read some blogs and posted some hands.

I find alot of blogs here exceptionally inspiring, blogs such as TwiceTs, TLN & silent21's and more recently Lennonac's.

I busted my $50 and ive probably busted ~$100 of my own money over the last 6 months or so, although ive had alot of success live, shipping a freeroll and cashing 2 other MTTs aswell as being a £200/300 up at cash. Maybe just luck but meh...

So the other day my friend asked me if I wanted to go to dusk till dawn to play this tournament, I wanted to play it because it looks well structured and Ive been wanting to check DTD out for a while now. However I didn't have the money, so he said lets try and grind it, he is a winning player at some alrite stakes, but he wanted to grind it from nothing. I however am not really a winning player, but I thought its worth a shot. I used some FPPs to play some SnGs and I managed to win one for an $11 tourny ticket. Perfect, I am rolled for the 25c 45mans. My friend took $11 off his account and is grinding the same, kind of a bit of a challenge. Once we are done grinding we will pool our money and hopefully we will have our buyin.

I have been 12tabling 25c 45mans, and played a few sessions, I was breaking even for a while, but I soon managed to adapt and realised how soft they were, and I am in profit now. My graph is below:

Whilst I have won $17, this isn't true because I played the 1k/4k guaranteed $1 MTTs, which I shouldn't have and I won't be doing again since I am not rolled for them, the guarantee just drew me in haha.

What I want to gain from this blog? Mostly discipline, if I am posting here I can't go play silly $1 MTTs with my poor roll. I also see this thread as a way of reviewing my improvement.

My goals:
      [] - Eventually manage to 30table. Move up through 12/16/20/25/30. (Without damaging my ROI).
      [] - Hit $50 roll and move up to $1 45mans with a stop limit to move back down to 25c at $30.
      [] - Grind enough to pay for my buyin for DTD tourny.
      [] - Win DTD tourny. (haha...).
      [] - Move up through the limits and make poker a rewarding hobby.

I will update blog after every session.

Stats:
      Starting BR: $0
      Current BR: $21.11
      ROI: 85.2%
      ITM: 24.1%
      Games: 81

Thanks for reading, if I keep this blog up I will try and add some colours etc. to make it more fun :D . Time to grind.
  • 32 replies
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Good luck with the grind man.

Originally posted by fusionpk

[] - Eventually manage to 30table. Move up through 12/16/20/25/30. (Without damaging my ROI).

This is not possible.
      There is no way you can play 30 tables with the same level of thought as you could play 12 tables. Your hourly $$ might increase, but your ROI will inevitably go down when mass multi tabling like this.

Good luck at the tables :)
      Ged
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Sounds like a good challenge to me :) GL with your grind :D
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gedwashere91
      Good luck with the grind man.

This is not possible.
      There is no way you can play 30 tables with the same level of thought as you could play 12 tables. Your hourly $$ might increase, but your ROI will inevitably go down when mass multi tabling like this.

Good luck at the tables :)
      Ged
      Yeah, understandable my point is that I don't want to kill my ROI so that I end up not making much more money for alot more work. Although my friend is 30tabling and getting 80% ROI atm, although sample is small I guess. Anyway, gonna hit the tables now and hopefully I will have a positive update. :D
    • Jehudas
      Jehudas
      Bronze
      (Without damaging my ROI)

trust me, this is not going to work... The stated ROI if 85% is over a way too small sample - when you keep putting in volume it will shrink...
      30-tables is sick - doubt that this would increase you hourly rate. Rather build up your skills by gradually increasing the number of tables opnened...
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Good luck mate, have fun at the tables :D

You can have a high roi in the $0.25 games as there is no rake but as you move up your roi will drop alot
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      Good luck mate, have fun at the tables :D

You can have a high roi in the $0.25 games as there is no rake but as you move up your roi will drop alot
      haha, yeah wtf is this 20% rake at $1. Im just hoping that I can beat the $1 45mans when i eventually do move up. We'll see anyway, thanks guys. :D
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Finished a 16table session, it was horrific. I don't know how I didn't go on tilt, flips wern't too bad, but everything else was horrid. AKvsAQ lost twice for full stacks AKvsAJ lost for stack. KK vs AQ on Q27 rainbow for stack. Also had set vs straight. Oh and I bubbled 2, just annoying but I was playing to win. Just everytime I got in ahead I lost. I think I played ok, a few mistakes but I think thats expected. Anyway, last FT of the session I managed to win so I only lost 2BI, which is basically breakeven.

Here is graph:

BR: $20.63

My friend decided that he can't afford to grind these with me because he is losing to much money by not playing his normal game, which is understandable. So he shipped me his 25c profit ($15) so that I can get to $1s quicker.

I have decided that once I get to $50, I will move the roll to fulltilt and play $1 45mans, the rake there is 10% rather than 20% and I also get RB which makes rake even better. I will only 8 table $1s to start with, and I will definately stop and move back to p/s 25c @ $30.

Current BR: $35.63 Next Session: 6.30PM
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Late starting session because im helping a mate out but it doesn't matter I have plenty of time.

Just posting to say really, if anyone is up for any sweats im up for it. Anything from 45man-180man from 25c to $2 ish im up for (Y).
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      The turbos are 10% rake
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      The turbos are 10% rake
      True, but im not sure if my game is good enough for turbos yet.

Tonights session didn't go great, really frustrating, ran deep in most of the games but just kept losing, one table i busted 7th with AKs vs chip leader, for chip lead, he turned over 35o pre, just sick. I am getting annoyed with breaking even, so tomorrow I plan to play 50+ tournies and also take a 30minute review to evaluate all my all-in situations and make sure they are the right shoves/calls.

Here is the latest graph:

Games: 110
      Current BR: $34.17
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Today I didn't get in the volume I wanted, mainly because I had things to do, I am still frustrated with my play, when I review my play I am still doing stupid things. However I am hoping that continually playing will improve my play, I'd like to play another session today but im going out tonight and I don't think i'll have time. I made profit today, although not much gah, im just hoping that I can improve my play and volume soon because I really would like to play $1 45mans.

Games: 117
      Current BR: $36.64

Latest Graph:

• fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      I feel like such a loser, yet I am so happy.

Went out last night, had a good night, but like a drunken idiot I played NL50 HU shortstack for $20. Clearly I am not rolled for this and I am pissed off that I played it. Luckily however I hit my flush + s/f draw and c/r all in on the flop for him to call on T6o higher s/f draw. (Was scary because any spade except the 5 beat me now).

Anyways, I hit and run (lol).

Current BR: $55.39.

Obviously I am happy, but I am v annoyed at my lack of discipline. I will move my roll to FT for a bit and play the $1 45mans, mainly because I get RB and rake is only 10% on the non-turbos.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      found a $1 on my FT account, so roll is $56.04

Account is also tracked here so if I get the volume I want in, I should be able to go silver.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      So started playing the $1, I have only played 7 of them because I wanted to concentrate on them to see how I need to adjust, apparently I don't. Although it is the weekend so I must consider that perhaps the tables are a little bit more fishy, somehow I don't think it makes much difference.

I final tabled 2, won 1 and came 3rd in another, the one I came 3rd in was just unlucky. So happy because its a great BR boost and means I have to worry much less about dropping down limits. I am actually buzzing atm, I would love to open a 16table session but I have to go out with the family for a meal at 6, and my session most likely won't be done by then (assuming I final table some). Unfortunately I am working tomorrow aswell which is a bitch, then playing a live f/r in the evening, however if I bust early I might play another session then. Monday I think I will grind all day.

Here is my graph for $1, it is kinda irrelevant but ill post anyway because I like to see it build over the sessions:

Current BR: $72.64 (not bad from $0 :D )
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Since I can't play, I am bored, I will maybe review some hands and watch my friend play.

Does anyone know if you can merge graphs from 2 accounts in HEM?
    • malosanmaka
      malosanmaka
      Bronze
      Create an alias for both of the accounts and then just select it when choosing player name.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by malosanmaka
      Create an alias for both of the accounts and then just select it when choosing player name.
      Ah sick, thanks man.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Ok, so since I was bored I decided to play a table of rush with the objective of learning. I played with the intention of trying to improve my techniques to extract value from hands. Went pretty good, although I think rush is v hard to get thing AI that arn't setups. I bought in with $2, turned it into $7, so happy without, although I won't be playing cash in the future.

Cash graph:

Tournament graph (mix 25c/$1):

I am so happy with the way poker is going atm, whether its run good or not I don't care, im feeling good about everything.

Current BR: $77.89
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Played f/r tonight, annoying, went out 10th with 77 vs AQ, standard but i coulda stayed home and grinded some money. Good laugh though. Luckily my friend went and won it. Gonna grind like crazy tomorrow, I want to play at the minimum 50 games.