1table bubble strategy

• juno82
      juno82
      Bronze
      What is the best way to play the bubble.
      With agression or wait until the other players busts out.
      Whenever i abuse the bubble i get alot of errors on my sng wizard,
      but it seems thats the strategy the best players use.
      I'm tired of having a big stack when the blinds are getting big, and then just blind out because the wizard wants me to play more passivly
  • 5 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Most players are too timid on the bubble. This is something you exploit in three ways. First, you passively enjoy the fact that they are not pushing in front of you as much as they should. This means you get more walks when you are in the big blind, and you get more opportunities to push when you are not in the big blind. Second, when your opponents push, you can sometimes put them on a much tighter range than they ought to push in the Nash equilibrium, and then you can call with a tighter range. Of course, some players do the opposite, particularly some regs when pushing from the small blind or UTG. Third, some opponents are too cautious on the bubble and will not call as widely as they should, and then you can push even wider than the Nash equilibrium. Be very careful with this, since the general tendency in some low stakes games is to be too cautious 5-handed and 3-handed, but to call too widely on the bubble itself.

My guess is that you are getting very bad feedback from SNG Wizard which will damage your game. The default calling ranges SNG Wizard assumes do not resemble the calling ranges of actual players. You need to adjust them, often tightening your opponents' calling ranges significantly compared with SNG Wizard's defaults. The automatic analysis will assume that your opponents are calling and overcalling much too often, and this will cause SNG Wizard to reject many clearly profitable shoves. You must change the default ranges manually. Try to think about how often your opponents actually call in various situations.
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      Do you have a custom model for your oponents?

I'm tring to analize some tourneys hand for hand, but it takes a lot of time.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I'm afraid I don't know of a better way than to go through hand by hand. You can't simply use a tight or loose model in SNG Wizard, as neither of these fits. In theory, the empirical model might be better eventually, but so far it doesn't seem to be very good.
    • juno82
      juno82
      Bronze
      thanks for the feedback
      yesterday i changed my strategy
      i am much more agressive now, not only on the bubble, but also 3way and full ring.

now when i get to the bubble i am usually a big stack, wich means that people give me walks and i can steal alot more pots

I made it to the bubble on 9 tourneys and cashed in all of them,
      5 wins, 2 seconds and 2 thirds

previously i would make it to the bubble to more tourneys but not a big stack in all of them, wich means fewer wins and more busts on the bubble.
    • z4tz
      z4tz
      Bronze
      juno82, just dont overdo it earlygame. We are tight then to let everyone else knock eachother out and move in with strong hands and pick up som extra chips now and then, we are not in there to risk our tournament all the time, this will be very bad for you in the long run :)

I like to hear that you are more aggresive on the bubble and 3handed, it's very good and will give you quite a lot. But dont forget to study icm and analyze your game so you know when you can be aggresive and when you cant be. Beeing aggresive in the wrong situations can blow away so much.

Nice run on those 9, just dont expect it to be like that all the time ;)