[NL20-NL50] blind battle - don't get his play

• Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      iPoker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (4 handed) - iPoker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (Button) ($21.64)
      SB ($22.56)
      BB ($6.95)
      UTG ($20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2, 2
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.60, SB calls $0.50, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.40) 9, K, 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1, SB raises to $2, Hero raises to $4.50, SB calls $2.50

Turn: ($10.40) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $7.50, SB calls $7.50

River: ($25.40) 4 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $25.40 | Rake: $1.27

Villain is VP:17/PR13/AFq14 over 30 hands

His C/minRaise tells me that he might be on draw.He called my raise so even more I put him on draw since he doesn't seem to have anything to protect really.
      On the turn I was pretty sure I would take the pot down with my bet.
      On the river he doesn't value bet so I hesitated to go AI.

I dont know his play doesn't make any sense to me.
      Any thoughts?
  • 9 replies
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      judging by his stacksize hes a fish so i would expect to see any two cards
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Villain has full stack and is 17/13.
      Wouldnt call that a fish but more a TAG, hence my play
      BTW I think I should have raised a bit more on the flop..
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Why are you 3betting the flop exactly? Even if you can conclude that he has a draw - which is pretty optimistic - you are still behind equity wise. There’s nothing to do here but fold imo.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Why are you 3betting the flop exactly?
      I'm 3 Betting because his minraise tells me that he doesn't have much to protect here. He he had AK or set he wouldn't minraise.
      That is also the reason why I also bet the turn.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Huh?

The point is - even if your read is correct - every draw has greater than 50% flop equity against you, meaning that you can’t raise for value vs these hands. It’s also not a good idea to inflate the pot with such a weak hand, since you are very dominated in the case that your read is incorrect.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Huh?
      every draw has greater than 50% flop equity against you, meaning that you can’t raise for value vs these hands.
      If I had AK I would certainly raise for value here.
      Can you explain again what you mean, I didn't get it.
      Thanks
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Ok.

My understanding of your thought process is that you put him on a draw and decide to 3bet since you are ahead?

My point: Since you have the lowest possible pair, his draws also have 6 overcard outs against you. This means that in terms of all in equity are are actually behind.

22: 43.7
      Qh7h: 56.3

Since he is probably not folding a decent draw before the river, 3betting the flop is the equivalent of putting money in behind, even though you are technically’ ahead’ right now.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Ok I got you.
      He doesn't know that I have 22 so basically my raise on the flop is a semi bluff. I have to say that my raise is way too small to achieve what I wanted to do. I am giving him odds to calls with his flush draw. 7 should have been better.

Why do you think that he wouldn't fold a draw before river?

I think with my turn bet I am representing Kx so if he was drawing he would fold there. But he didnt and call and then supposely hit the river and doesn't value bet? That is where i am struggling to understand.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think you see a lot of times there also Kx that doesn´t really like to fold at any point
      So I don´t like barreling turn that often, since he just doesn´t fold there and 22 even against draws has just too few equity
      I´d prefer b/f flop and moving on to next hand