AK keeps letting me down.

• holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Three out of four times when I go all in with AK (I'm playing SSS) I either get beaten by a pocket pair or a pair made on the board. This usually sends me on tilt so unless I'm self disciplined I can lose even more money.

It's putting me off playing the hand which could lead to me missing out on winnings.

Is AK actually any better than QQ or JJ?
  • 9 replies
    • JoeRichy
      JoeRichy
      Bronze
      AK - 44% QQ - 56% all in preflop. I think I'm not 100% sure.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Gold
      Originally posted by JoeRichy
      AK - 44% QQ - 56% all in preflop. I think I'm not 100% sure.

Is right +2% if you AK is suited
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Silver
      everytime i have JJ or QQ and i go all in and AK calls me AK usualy wins yet everytime i have AK and i go all in and JJ or QQ call me i always lose hummmmmmmmmmmmm ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(

what to do what to do
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Think about it, how can AK be better than QQ? If you could see his hand would you still push?
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Silver
      in a cash game i would call his QQ even if i seen his cards buton tournement its a sceptical call
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pogodon

what to do what to do
      Try winning
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Gold
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Think about it, how can AK be better than QQ? If you could see his hand would you still push?
      Depends on how I'm running.
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      I've just identified a problem with my playing, I go all in with AK after the flop without hitting anything after somebody raises. Partially a mistake on my part, but it's also emotive play.

Ho hum, better plug that leak.
    • cjchalmers
      cjchalmers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pogodon
      in a cash game i would call his QQ even if i seen his cards buton tournement its a sceptical call
      Erm so you would take a gamble as a small underdog in a cash game (where we are essentially just trying to make +EV plays), yet you wouldn't in a tourney where there is a need to amass chips due to the constantly increasing blinds... pls explain your logic because i can't see it.... :f_confused:

Personally i would be more inclined to do it in a tourney and wouldn't do it in a cash game if i knew he had q-q ....

Obviously this is dependent on money already in the pot ... the tourney play can be easily +EV due to blinds and antes...

I'm presuming we are playing a pretty small stack in this cash game,.....