poker, skill or luck

• pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      ok i need all the smart cheeky people i see alot of in the forum to help me here

me and my brother ( who doesn't really play poker) constantly have this debate

he says: poker is all about luck no matter how you play you can just get unlucky or lucky at the end.

i say: (the usual shit) obvioulsy poker has luck involved but only for short time, over long periods skill kills luck

and he ask him if it was about luck how does 1 player ( phil ivey win so much, is he lucky i say)

he tells me if skill is better then how does fools get to the final table of wsop every year<<<<<<<< thats a tough one

so please cheeky forum users give me a smart but correct answer to shut the fucker up

thank you,
      Jay
  • 8 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      he tells me if skill is better then how does fools get to the final table of wsop every year<<<<<<<< thats a tough one

1 tournament sample size ftw!!!
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pogodon
      ...he tells me if skill is better then how does fools get to the final table of wsop every year<<<<<<<< thats a tough one
      I think You answered already :)

Originally posted by pogodon
      i say: (the usual shit) obvioulsy poker has luck involved but only for short time, over long periods skill kills luck...
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Just look at some data available on PTR.com, sharkscope.com or whichever site u use to get more info against ppl u play. If people who play 20k+ tournies or 2mil+hand are lucking their way into tens of thousands of dollars I'll eat this post.
    • cjchalmers
      cjchalmers
      Silver
      Originally posted by Atoks
      Just look at some data available on PTR.com, sharkscope.com or whichever site u use to get more info against ppl u play. If people who play 20k+ tournies or 2mil+hand are lucking their way into tens of thousands of dollars I'll eat this post.
      +1 .... and I'll eat a deck of cards and 500 chips... dealers jacket for dessert.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      about the final table: One tournament is a shortterm-thing and thus any idiot with luck knocking on his door can make it to a final table in one tourney, but he is very unlikely to ever do so again.

Short-term, poker is based on the outcome of the cards (aka luck), but if you run a scenario enough times, luck will stop to be a factor and probability will kick in.

We feed out of people like your brother and others who think its a game of luck, so please don't forward it to him... ;)
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      I think if you tell him this: "take someone like Doyle Brunson who has been living off poker exclusively for the past five decades. Was he lucky fifty years in a row?", it should end the arguement..

And honestly, why do you even argue about poker with someone who doesnt even play it?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

The answer is simple. Poker is a game of skill AND luck. Short-term, the luck will be the king, long-term, the skill will be the king :) . Make him read the poker mindset or something ;) .

Best regards,

Primzi
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      About the main event.

It's right, the november nine are not the top 9 poker players, but I don't see any fools there.