lollujo's Very Irregular SNG Blog

• lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Hello all,

This is my new blog, and replaces the SSS one that I started just after I joined the site. The main reason for the change is that I'm not enjoying SSS, or cash games in general. I successfully got my $50 starting capital up to $120 in a month playing SSS on Everest (although most of the profit came from my first deposit bonus). But after 70 or so hours grinding away at cash games, I was bored. So I had to choose between switching to BSS or SNGs. I read all the basic articles for both, and decided I liked the look of SNGs, so gave them a try. I won my first 2 without using any kind of strategy, and was hooked!

To be allow me to multi-table, I've cashed out of Everest, and moved over to Full Tilt with a $100 deposit to activate their 100% first deposit bonus. From what I can tell, to multi-table SNGs I need to be playing in either Pokerstars or Full Tilt, and as I already have a Pokerstars account from years ago, Full Tilt seemed to be the obvious choice. The bonus and rakeback will be nice too.

I've now played 34 SNG's over the last 3 days, not massive volume I know, but the first night I was only playing 1 table at time, second night was 2 tables at a time, and last night I was playing in sets of 4 tables. 4 tables seems comfortable at the moment, so I think I'll stick with that for a few more days until I get used to the hotkeys I've set up in TableNinjaFT.

This is my graph for the first few days (not very meaningful yet I know, but people do like a graph):

I'll be sticking to a 100bi rule for my BRM, so need to get upto $200 before I can move up to the $2+0.25.

My goals:

• Play 1000 SNGs by the end of 2010
      • Read all PokerStrategy SNG articles upto Silver level
      • Watch all SNG videos upto Silver
      • Practice with ICM trainer for 200 hands as a warm up before each session

My balance as of today is $107, and I'll be looking to update every day or two, or when I have something interesting to say.

Wish me luck!

lollujo
  • 75 replies
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      Hi! I recently also started to play SnG's instead of cash games so it will be interesting to follow your progress. I started 5 days ago and play sets of 6-9 tables on fulltilt, turbo SnG. I just played 62 SnG's and am like +6$. What's ur screenname if u wanna say it so I can recognize you ?

Good Luck with the pushing
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      It's lollujo, although I'll be steering clear of the turbo's at the moment as I think I'm playing too tight for that structure. It seems to be working quite well at the moment though, if it hadn't been for bubbling a whole set with bad beats yesterday I would be up too!

Good luck with the switch. I'll race you to the $5000 buyins!
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      I'm suffering from some horrible luck over the last few sessions. I'm down $13.50 on my last 18 games, but I'm hoping it's just variance rearing it's ugly head. I'm going to have a session review first though using my newly acquire SitNGo Wizard to double check. I seem to be consistently getting unlucky on the bubble though. Most of the time I'm getting my money in good, but for whatever reason Full Tilt punishes me.

But still, I'll have a look through my games, have another practicse on the ICM Trainer and maybe do one more set of 4 before bed tonight. I tried a set of 6 earlier this evening, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet as it got a bit hectic, and is probably one of the reasons I'm down as I only cashed in one of those sixth, with a third place.

My main issue seems to be around the bubble. Out of my 16 games so far, I've finished 4th 16 times (27%). Once I actually get into the money, I seem to do OK, with the majority of my cashes being in first place (15%). I finish second 8% of the time and third 10%. Because of this I'm focusing my ICM training on situations with 4 or 5 players. However, I'm a bit concerned that ICM is leading me to be too aggresive with my pushes. At these stakes people will call with just about anything, and they certainly won't let me push a third time without someone calling me. This is leading to me being caught all in with hands like Q9, K8 and 22 and called by stuff like J8, K5, and A2. I'll keep with it for now, but if it carries on I may have to look at adjusting my all in range on the bubble, and not being quite so aggressive.

Bankroll stands at $105, with $5 of my $100 bonus unlocked. I think that releases every $10, so should get some of that in the next few days.
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      Yo. Glad you're hanging in there. I downloaded SnGwiz today and got straight to reviewing some old SnG's. Although it's helpful I feel it's better to review right after the session so your memory about some questionable hands is still fresh. I find also that I fold too much late game when I actually should push. Particularly in SB when it tell me to push almost any two against ppl with stacks smaller than mine, you probably have the same problem.

BTW, if u think u're rolled for 2$ i think u should jump up straight away since the rake is only 25% more but the buyin is 100% more, meaning you get more prize pool for your buck :) I tried them today and skill lvl is not changed.

Hope we'll progress at the same pace and that u don't give up, could be interesting further up the limits.

Best of luck
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Not sure if it's good idea for me to move up to the $2s while I'm in the middle of a losing streak. I could end up doing even more damage! What are people's views on BRM in SNGs? I'm been working on 100bi. Is this too much?
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      Well, of course I meant that if u think you're ready bankroll-wise u could try the 2$. I go for 100BI right now but I think if u don't play turbos and only play normal SnG's I think you could easily go for a bit less, maybe 75.
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      [B]New Mini Goal![/B]

My wife is working nights for the next 4 nights now, which means I can play from 7pm every night without any distractions. I usually play until around 1am, so that gives me 6 hours a night.

A set of 4 games takes about an hour at the moment, assuming I don't crash out of them all early. So allowing for a 15 minute break after each session, I should have time to fit in 5 sets each evening. Which means I should be playing 80 games over the next 4 nights.

Each day I'll update the following morning with how I've gotten on, after a session review. My mini goal is to have fewer red crosses in SitNGo Wizard each day than the day before. I'm not going to worry about financial results during this time, I just want to work on improving my ICM play, particularly around the bubble where I'm really struggling at the moment. I'm even going to attempt to not check my balance on Full Tilt, or look at my ROI in PokerTracker at all until Thursday morning. It's all about ticks and crosses for the next few days...

I'm going to crack on with half an hour on the ICM trainer now, then get straight into my first set.

Wish me luck!
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arisko
      Well, of course I meant that if u think you're ready bankroll-wise u could try the 2$. I go for 100BI right now but I think if u don't play turbos and only play normal SnG's I think you could easily go for a bit less, maybe 75.
      The article on here suggests a 50 buyin rule, which is what made me question whether I should be trying the $2s. Having read a lot of the blogs on here, it does seem that most people are more conservative than that though, so I'm really not sure what to do.

I do think it's going to be particularly hard to beat the rake on the $1s, so would love to move up as soon as possible, but as a beginner I don't know whether 50 buy ins is going to protect my bankroll enough against losing streaks while I'm still learning.
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      First 4 games, and unbelievably on all 4 of them I was knocked out before the bubble with a high pair with some idiot who shouldn't have called making his flush. On the last one I got it all in with JJ only for someone to call with K8s...

Why do I feel like this isn't going to be my night...
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Although looking at that set against my target for the next few days, I only had 1 red cross across all 4 games, and I knew that was a stupid mistake at the time, so it's not all bad. Although admittedly I didn't make it to the bubble on any of them, so there weren't that many chances for ICM mistakes...
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Right, just got 85/100 on the ICM Trainer, I think that's cheered me up enough to face the muppets on Full Tilt again, it's my highest score so far.

I promise I won't update the blog every few minutes all night, I just needed to use it as therapy after that last set...
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      My promise not to continually update is getting harder to keep. Another set of 4, another heap of bad luck...

Game 1: My 33 is a 52% favourite against villains KJo, but out I go in 4th place...

Game 2: My KK is a 72% favourite against villains AQo, but out I go in 3rd place...

Game 3: My JJ is a 72% fabourite against villians A9o. but out I go in 4th place...

Game 4: My AKo is a 74% favourite against villains KQo, but out I go in 5th place...

I know all I can do is keep getting it in good like I am, and the results should come eventually, but it's so disheartening, especially when it's been going on for nearly 30 games now...
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Just had a look through my games from last night with SitNGo Wizard. I don't really have any idea how I should be adjusting the ranges of my opponents, so I haven't even tried to. I realise this means the results aren't as accurate as they could be, but hopefully it's better than nothing.

Over the course of the 20 games I played last night, I made 31 mistakes according to SNG Wiz. Interestingly nearly two thirds of the mistakes came in the last 2 sets when my results started to improve (I'm not sure exactly how they improved, as I'm not looking at the results, but I know I made the money more in the last 2 sets than I did in the first 3). Not sure if this is because those games lasted longer so there was more opportunity to make mistakes, or if my play was getting worse.

Goal for tonight is to make fewer than 31 mistakes over the 20 games I'll be playing, and I'll review the results tomorrow. Now it's time for some more practice with the ICM trainer, and perhaps a couple of SNG videos from the site.
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      My masterplan for this week has failed, mainly because Mrs Lollujo was off work sick last night so I didn't get many games in.

Also, I looked at my balance, and played a few sets of $2 games because the article on here says 50 buy ins should be fine.

All in all, the experiment with the $2s was a disaster. I played 20 $2 games, right at the height of my bad run of cards. Very bad idea I know. Over the course of 20 games, I managed to lose $23.40, cashing only 5 times, with 2 second places and 3 thirds. I'm not sure if the level of play was that much better, or if I was just on a bad streak of cards, but it's certainly put me off trying the higher limit again for a while...

So back in the $1 games, and I'm recovering from my downswing earlier in the week. I've managed 16 games over the last day and a half or so at an ROI of 31%, which I can't complain about. I've now played 100 $1 games in total, and I'm down $9.80 in that time. I have unlocked $10 of my Full Tilt bonus though, which covers that.

My graph is depressing, but that's mainly because of my ill advised fliratation with the $2 games, which won't happen again until I get my bankroll back above $100:

In more positive news, I've thrown away the starting hands chart (most of it is in my head now) and I've started to play a lot more fluently. I've also increased the aggression at the bubble stage which is leading to more 1st place finishes - I don't ever sneak into the money now, I either go crashing out in 4th or 5th, or get down to the last 3 with a big pile of chips. I hope this is going to be a good strategy to use long term, but we'll see.

My wife is back in work again tonight, and then she's going to V Festival on Friday night and won't be back until Monday, so I've got at least 4 nights in the next week where I should be able to get at least 20 games in.

I might even have another bash at 6 tabling once I get a positive ROI in the $1s again, as I think I could probably do it now I'm not constantly checking the starting hands charts.

So hopefully I'll have a successful session tonight and get back into profit on the $1s, and then I can really push on and get some volume in over the weekend...

Bankroll: $87.79
      Games played: 120 (100 $1 and 20 $2)
      ROI: -20.15 (-8.18 at $1 and -52.00 at $2)
      Bonus unlocked: $10 of $100 (deadline 08/12/2010)
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      Hi man. Sorry to hear about your bad run on the 2$. I'm sure it was a bad luck downswing, but 1/5 of the bankroll is hard to handle, u should probably build your BR a little bit more.

I've had a very hard time to get my head around the best way of reviewing sessions when playing SnG's, but there's a very good thread on 2+2 which is also available on the author's blog.
      http://www.sickread.com/blog/article/how-to-learn-good-them-sngs/
      IMO a very good guide to how to review SnG's and at least get some basic ideas for what to do instead of just checking crosses and ticks on SnGWiz. There's a part 2 also to teach you about hand ranges for SnGWiz and I think you can find the link for part 2 in the article. Give it a read.

GL
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Thanks, I'll have a read of that article once I've finished my games for the night.

I'm quite happy to move back up to the $2s as soon as I hit $100 bankroll again. I just can't see that they're that much harder than the $1s, and the reduction in rake should make them easier to beat long term. If I move up and lose again I'll just drop back once the bankroll dips back below $80. Hopefully when I move up next time I'll start on an upswing and not have to worry about it...
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      The last few days have seen me starting to attempt to build my own playing style. I'm now limping in from late position (and occasionally from middle) with suited connectors, small pairs and suited aces. I'm only doing this in the early stages, when I've still got 25+ big blinds, and I'm not interested in doing it in a raised pot, but I'm finding it's really working well, especially when combined with my new found understanding of pot odds. This is one of several examples from the last few days of my new tactic in action:

Full Tilt - $1+$0.20|40/80 NL - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: 1,465.00
      CO: 1,705.00
      Hero (BTN): 3,400.00
      SB: 835.00
      BB: 2,160.00
      UTG: 3,935.00

SB posts SB 40.00, BB posts BB 80.00

Pre Flop: (120.00) Hero has 4:club: 5:heart:

fold, MP calls 80.00, CO calls 80.00, Hero calls 80.00, SB calls 40.00, BB checks

Flop: (400.00, 5 players) 7:club: 6:heart: J:diamond:
      SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, CO bets 160.00, Hero calls 160.00, fold, fold, fold

Turn: (720.00, 2 players) 3:heart:
      CO bets 240.00, Hero raises to 1,000.00, CO calls 760.00

River: (2720.00, 2 players) 3:spade:
      CO checks, Hero bets 2,160.00 and is all-in, CO calls 465.00 and is all-in

Hero shows 4:club: 5:heart: (Straight, Seven High)
      CO mucks J:heart: Q:heart: (Two Pair, Jacks and Threes)
      Hero wins 3,650.00

What this is doing is giving me some low cost, speculative ways to collect some chips early on in a SNG. If I hit the flop, I've got a good chance of stacking someone, if I don't, I've only lost one big blind.

I've combined this with a more aggresive style around the bubble, and it seems to be turning around my run of bad results:

I now have a positive ROI in the $1 games, and I'm just working towards repairing the damage done by the $2s. I've decided to get my overall ROI back into the black before I have another shot at the $2s, which would put my bankroll around the $120/130 mark depending on how much bonus I've unlocked by then. I'll then drop back down to the $1s if I fall back down below $100 again.

[B][U]

Session Results[/U]
      Starting Bankroll: $87.79
      Games played: 28 (146 overall)
      ROI: 50% (-8.21% overall)
      Bonus unlocked: $0 ($10 overall)
      Closing Bankroll: $104.59
      [/B]
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lollujo
      4:club: 5:heart:
      That's one funny looking suited connector!

BTW, completely forgot to try out the chip twirling thing last night. Will try to remember today, and report back.
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Ok, perhaps I relax the rules a little more when things get short handed...

And I can't do the chip twirl. I'm blaming my cheap plastic chips, they stick together. Or maybe I should wash my hands once in a while...