Swings & Roundabouts

• Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      I'm new here. Thought I'd contribute by sharing my first month's experience playing with my PokerStrategy.com starting capital on Pacific Poker.

The idea was to play either S&Gs and/or MTTs to run up my roll.

On the first day I played two $1.10 $100 Guarantee MTTs.
      I cashed the first one for $1.39 and came 2nd in the next one for $25.60.
      Result! I decided to stick with the small/medium field Guarantee MTTs for now.

On the second day I only had one small cash of $3, and dropped about $10 in buy-ins trying to emulate my first day's success. I decided to limit myself to a max of 3 MTTs daily, depending on results and mood.

The next day I had another 2nd place finish for $28, almost doubling my roll to $95.89.
      I had a bad run for a couple of days after that, but dropped only about $10 in total, sticking to my strategy of quitting if it's not working. I bounced back the next day with two cashes totaling $29.60. After that I had another two dry days, followed by two days with consecutive deep runs and my biggest cash of $35.20.

Overall I've cashed 9 tournaments in the last 9 days;
      three 2nd place finishes, one 3rd, one 4th, one 7th and three ITM finishes:

Starting Roll: $50.00
      Total Winnings: $134.99
      Current Roll: $134.39

That's a profit of $84.39 at a ROI just shy of 200%.

It has been a grind, but I've settled into a rhythm and I feel comfortable playing every day. Once I reach the $200+ mark I will move up in stakes, see how it goes and possibly reconsider my strategy at some point after that.

I'll post my results here for the rest of the month for those interested in following my progress.
  • 57 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      NICE :D KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: :D
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      :D

Thank you Sir.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Very well done :)

Why don't you pay our poker blog forums a visit and start your own?

Hadi
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Thanks Hadi.

I might consider a blog if I feel I have more to share.
      See how the rest of this month goes first...

=)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Congratulations on your success :) .
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Thanks Primzi.

Friday was the first day I didn't play since starting. Mostly tired, unmotivated...
      I was feeling that my game was becoming stale, automatic. Figured I'd take a break and see where it goes.

Saturday I ran cold; one small in the money cash. Wasn't feeling it so didn't play Sunday either...

Started Monday really well... was playing good, with new energy, but on two occasions I was in the top three from early on in tournaments and ran cold towards the end: one bust just before the bubble and the other I managed to grind out a 4th place for $8.70.

Tuesday/Wednesday morning another Final Table; 7th for $5.28.
      A few more coolers when it really counted, which is disappointing, but I'm happy with how I'm playing at the moment.
      As long as I keep playing solid the results will come.

(I also placed 7th out of 475, in a Bronze Member R+A MTT Freeroll, for the grand sum of $2.25. A small rebate for the points I've collected over the last couple of weeks.)

So a relatively slow second week so far, but managed to grind to an all-time high.

Current Roll: $141.94
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Patience is the key here and for your first month you're doing exceptionally good imo :)

Hadi
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      hey Mulatu,

I came by to read your thread - surely you had a little bit of an upswing in the first week. But I am also sure that you took some time in learning, otherwise that success would not have been possible, even within a upswing.
      Don't stop learning and you will most probably not stop winning.
      Have you btw managed to visit one of our coachings or at least watched a video, maybe tried the hand evaluation forum?
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      wow, very good results!
      But small tip for you. As we can see, your MTT's is going very good. Maybe try to work with HU, because so many 2nd's and no 1st places is weird.. One clue for this one - more aggressive and different you will play on HU , more you will stun the opponent, and he wont be able to read your moves after your previous moves, so you get the edge at least for few hands and get the momentum. (at HU its very important) But always be able to fold your cards and keep chips to play at least for one more big bluff if you need that
      It works for me. Maybe it will for you too ;)
      P.S.
      Managed to play off the massive chip leader(150k v 850k) of 1st place like this.

GL at tables!
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Thanks Hadi. I have to add though this is not my first month ever playing cash.

SvenBe, I really like your comment: "I am also sure that you took some time in learning, otherwise that success would not have been possible, even within an upswing." I am usually very critical of my game. It's possible I have become a bit complacent in this regard, expecting results, but not working as hard...

Thanks sufix645. Re: HU... I'm sure others have noticed it too; you're the first to comment. I actually just went over the three HU matches I played...

The first HU match my opponent had the chip lead, 150k/100k, but we were under 10 BBs, so it was basically push or fold. I managed to get a small lead, stacked with an Ace on the button and lost. All in any two next hand. The second HU match was a bit deeper stacked. My opponent had a 2/1 lead with 180k/90k at 3200/6400 blinds, but he was shoving almost every hand. Refused to play a flop. I lost interest in the match, pushed with a suited Ace and lost.

I made a conscious decision to focus more when I get HU again. I felt like I allowed my opponents to run over me, even though I didn't have much room to move. I have finished final table HU matches in both S&Gs and MTTs and I'm fairly confident playing HU.

The third match was really good. We played more than 70 hands HU. I had played with my opponent on several tables leading up to the final table and had a pretty good idea of what he was doing. I had more than 2/1 lead with 240k/105k at 4k/8k blinds. I increased the lead to 4/1 in the first hand. Six hands later he shoves with T9, I call with KJ on a J22 flop. He hits running 8Q to make a straight. Sick. I still have the lead though. Ten hands later I limp with A9 suited on the button, he shoves I call. 88 with an 8 on the flop. I'm down 6/1. I came back and took the lead again 15 hands later. Then lost a race and the lead and eventually with the blinds at 8k/16k I lost with a big Ace against pocket 5s. Disappointing result, especially after being so close, but fairly happy with how I played.
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Things haven't really been going my way since my last post.
      I've been repeating Hadi's mantra over and over: "Patience is the key... "

By the end of last week I was getting pretty frustrated with the lack of results. On Saturday I decided to re-focus... I started taking notes while playing, analyzing key hands and situations, noting trends in my game. This definitely helped to get me back in the right frame of mind.

Since Thursday I've had 5 ITM cashes for $9.98.
      Two cashes today including one 5th place finish for $10.74

Current Roll: $142.86

• Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      One Final Table on Tuesday; 7th for $7.84, to give me a small profit for the day's play. Wednesday I was tired and not playing particularly well. It's really interesting how much poker affects your mood, and vice versa.

Two Final Tables today:
      a 9th for $3.45 and a 4th place finish for $13.87.

At the beginning of this week I didn't think I was even going to hit the $150 mark by the end of the month, but I'm playing better (and running better). I always had the $200 mark in the back of my mind when I started playing. Will be very happy if I can reach that target by the end of the month.

Current Roll: $159.22
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      whooohoo nice performance.
      I already see the interview with you within the next year: "Mulatu goes highstakes".
      What do you think,shall I move the thread to the poker blog forums as Hadi suggested earlier?
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Haha! Thanks SvenBe... that made me laugh. :D

My only goal at the moment is to reach $200+ so I can move up in stakes. Looking forward to that challenge.

Yes, move it to the blog forums...
      Posting here has helped me analyze/look at my game over longer periods of time instead of just focusing on the day-to-day grind and that's really helped me to keep things in perspective. I'd like to continue doing that with input from other Strategists.
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      1st/179 for $53.70

You want to schedule that interview SvenBe?

:D

Current Roll: $210.72
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Taking a break from NLHE MTTs for a couple days.
      Playing satellites for the MiniFTOPS starting this week on Full Tilt.

Won a seat into Event #14 Limit Omaha Hi/Lo:

• SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      nice one... I remember my first MTT-SNG where i won 12$..
      Hope you rock the miniFTOPS, keep us informed!
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Thanks SvenBe.

This thread has become by blog now. Don't know if I can change the title; will have a look at it later. Gonna continue posting my progress in the original challenge: building a roll on Pacific Poker with my PokerStrategy starting capitol, share hands, discuss strategy...

I also play on Full Tilt. All games but mostly NLHE MTTs, Shorthanded 7-Game and Razz.
      Will post stuff from my play there from time to time as well.
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Won a seat for MiniFTOPS Event #11 NLHE Knockout: