Please avoid using abbreviations initially

• PiersM
      PiersM
      Global
      Hello everyone.

Im pretty new to the forums here and also like most of you, new to poker too. I have been reading through a lot of posts in these forums over the last few weeks and have noticed many of you use abbreviations like SSS, ROI etc.

I have no idea what these are abreviations for and im sure there are other people new to poker than will not know what these mean. So i would like to ask, since this is a poker educational site that you could possibly avoid using abbreviations in your posts, at least for the first time, repeats can be abbreviated.

It would help me understand a bit better what some of your posts are about.

Thankyou.
  • 16 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

These two links will help you with the abbreviations:

Common abbreviations
      Glossary

The first link is the link to the thread with common abbreviations (stickied in General discussion) and the second link leads to the glossary in the strategy section which can give you detailed explanation for the commonly used poker words/phrases.

Best regards,

Primzi
    • MareksVas
      MareksVas
      Bronze
      Don't think that we should avoid using abr. You should just learn their meaning. Don't worry that you don't understand all that you read at first. Read more articles, use glossary - http://www.pokerstrategy.com/glossary/ and you will get in touch with poker very quickly.
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Ah, brilliant. I was looking for a glossary :)
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      It can be a bit confusing when you start out, but don't worry, you will get to know the abbreviations.
      Defiantly follow Primzi tips and there is a solution: just ask :) We are happy to explain if anything is unclear.
    • PiersM
      PiersM
      Global
      ok thanks I do have two questions im not clear on and cant seem to find answers anywhere.

What is a donkey and how is a donkey different from a fish?

Where is the Hi-Jack seat?
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PiersM
      ok thanks I do have two questions im not clear on and cant seem to find answers anywhere.

Hijack = MP3

A donkey is a mammal. A fish is well, a fish.

I think donkeys and fish are similar. They are just bad players.

When in doubt, visit http://www.google.com
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Fish:

An animal that lives in the water and swims. They might kill you in some instances.

Fish is used to describe a canadian or US-american online poker player.

A new inmate at prison

The scent of females who wash their vagina's infrequently.

term for biological women used primarily by gay men, either in a positive or derogatory way.

also used by gay men to complement female looking drag queens or transgender women that appear 'real' or too convincing to be men.

a loose poker player who loses all their money easily.

Verb
      1. To catch fish.
      2. To acquire, or go after something.

Noun.
      1. The animals that swim in the water.
      2. A new bitch in prison.
      3. Smelly pussy. Few pussies actually smell like fish, despite the common parlance of the term.

a term used widely in cocaine dealings. Another word for cocaine on the streets.

Donkey:

A girl with a fat booty.

A bad poker player who doesn't actually know how bad he is.

a foolish person that acts an ass

Used towards a male: he got a big cock

Any cream based alcoholic drink

A man that will take your shit. And carry it everywhere.

farm animal that is stubborn, eats a lot of oats, makes funny noises, acts like an idiot, and is very well endowed.

an untrainable Retard

They have many meanings :D
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze

Hey mate,

donkey is pretty much the same as a fish :) A newbie or an inexperienced player.

Where did you stumble across the term hijack seat? Wiki tells us this:
      hijack seat
      The seat to the right of the cutoff seat, or second to the right of the button.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MichaelM

Hey mate,

donkey is pretty much the same as a fish :) A newbie or an inexperienced player.

Where did you stumble across the term hijack seat? Wiki tells us this:
      hijack seat
      The seat to the right of the cutoff seat, or second to the right of the button.
      Hijack is pretty common terminology. Especially among the American players
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      I've only recently heard the phrase, but it does seem to be becoming more and more widespread. Thanks for the clarification guys.

I'm assuming it is referring to MP3 hijacking the potential steal opportunity of the CO & BU, right? or have I got this all wrong?

All good stuff,

Bart
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elhh82
      Hijack = MP3
      Interestingly enough the guy who named the hijack seat believes there are only 6 positions at a full ring table:

BB, SB, BU, CO, HJ, EP, EP, EP, EP

Also, the term donkey lead to the creation of the term donk bet: A player who bets out the next street without having initiative. Thus, donks make donk bets.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Hijack = MP3
      Interestingly enough the guy who named the hijack seat believes there are only 6 positions at a full ring table:

BB, SB, BU, CO, HJ, EP, EP, EP, EP

Also, the term donkey lead to the creation of the term donk bet: A player who bets out the next street without having initiative. Thus, donks make donk bets.
      That makes me a donk then :f_o:
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      I've only recently heard the phrase, but it does seem to be becoming more and more widespread. Thanks for the clarification guys.

I'm assuming it is referring to MP3 hijacking the potential steal opportunity of the CO & BU, right? or have I got this all wrong?

All good stuff,

Bart
      I think you are spot on.

I've heard it a little before, but when i was at the WSOP this year, pretty much everyone called the seat before CO the Hijack. All the pokernews reporters used HJ and ESPN also uses HJ in their videos.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze

All good stuff,

Bart
      I think you are spot on.

I've heard it a little before, but when i was at the WSOP this year, pretty much everyone called the seat before CO the Hijack. All the pokernews reporters used HJ and ESPN also uses HJ in their videos.

Thinly disguised brag post :P

Cash in any? And which did you play? Are you just gonna link me to your blog?
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum

All good stuff,

Bart
      I think you are spot on.

Thinly disguised brag post :P

Cash in any? And which did you play? Are you just gonna link me to your blog?
      Mostly he just wrote about it:

WSOP 2010 Live Ticker - May 29 - July 5

Apologies if this is a level.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Actually for some reason I totally missed that thread and was an interesting read. Thanks :)