Depression and Poker.

• holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Anybody else occasionally haunted by the "black dog"? I find it affects my play a little and I can more easily get sent on tilt.

It can be helpful though as it makes me work harder at self control, self discipline and keeping emotions reigned in.
  • 87 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      is the black dog a methaphor? i never heard of this madra
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi holnrew,

Yes, hitting variance in poker can get you down sometimes. It depends how your feeling at that point in time too of course.

I find that you can help yourself by taking regular breaks, going for a walk in the fresh air etc. Also using a sensible BRM (Bankroll Management) can help to ensure that you don't play with scared money and that you only lose a small amount each time.

If you are feeling particularly depressed, it might pay to stop poker for a few days and take a complete break or even see your doctor for some guidance if really bad.

Above all else, look after yourself... first and foremost, don't push yourself too much. Remember that better times will come along sooner or later. Poker should be an enjoyable recreation, if you're struggling take a break and return refreshed ;)

Hope this helps, don't forget you have many friends in the forum community to chat too if you want to get things off of your chest.

Best regards,

Bart
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      wtf is a black dog? the only thing i can think of is a damn good song by led zeppelin, but it doesnt seem to correlate to what youre talking about
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      It's what Churchill referred to his depression as. As for songs called Black Dog, check out Nick Drake's.

I'm already on medication and all that, which nobody should be embarrassed to admit to. Thanks for the lovely response eaglestar.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by holnrew
      I'm already on medication and all that, which nobody should be embarrassed to admit to. Thanks for the lovely response eaglestar.
      No problem my friend,

I too have been there myself, recently worn the depression t-shirt, drunk the happy potions & patted the black dog on the head (so to speak) :P I still do get down occasionally, but sooo much better now than before.

Hang in there buddy, it takes time, but you will improve.

Feel free to contact me via PM on Community for my skype ID if you need someone to chat to sometime, I'm often around or trolling the forum ;)

tc,

Bart
    • cjchalmers
      cjchalmers
      Silver

I'm already on medication and all that, which nobody should be embarrassed to admit to. .
      Respect to you sir .. hang in there ...

Hope these make you feel a little better :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Hi holnrew,

don't push yourself too much. Remember that better times will come along sooner or later. Poker should be an enjoyable recreation, if you're struggling take a break and return refreshed ;)

Best regards,

Bart

wp sir
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      There's also a pretty trippy film called Black Dog
    • Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      if ur depression is long term, i'm happy to see a proper answer, its just temporary, go and get drunk like fuck..seriously its one of the best ways to get out of the sadness :D
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lizocain
      if ur depression is long term, i'm happy to see a proper answer, its just temporary, go and get drunk like fuck..seriously its one of the best ways to get out of the sadness :D
      Or smoke some weed and dwell on it....
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Tried both, neither has any particularly positive effects... lol.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      poker and depression or beer and weed?
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      u could also try this,dont think i am kidding:

take ur best friend for a roadtrip,go find a super cool place surrounded by nature only,camp there and make sure everything around is nice,and u aint got a problem with anything,make sure u have some way to put on music as loud as u could possibly want and then take LSD.

After the effects appear,lay down,relax,put on ur favorite genre of music and just chill looking up the sky.

I am not sure how seriously u might take my advice but this has helped me twice when i was fucked up cause of real life problems
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      That sounds sick Pavlos :D I want to do that now!
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Can not think of a better idea than taking hallucinogenics whilst depressed. What could possibly go wrong?
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      please do not use LCD or especially cannabis for depression, im sure u know this already but this is the worst possible thing you can do.

I have sufferred with depression on and off for 5 years, the worst being the last 2, it does affect poker because uf affects your emotions but i see this as an extra challenge and for me it also provides a bit of extra motivation because i the way i see it, playing profitbably is a huge amount to do with yoru state of mind so if im amble to to make a good profit now (ive only had 2 losinh months in 16) then im going to be awesome when my head is right!

with regards to your depression, are you having counsilling? if possible ask about getting some CBT (Coignitive Behavioural Therapy), this is great for understanding how the mind works and how the way we feel is directly influenced by the what we think. Not only will this help your depression but it will help your poker too.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I can understand at the limit that somebody would suggest weed to "help" depression since weed is actually know to be relaxing the body and the mind. Weed is also a very very light drug.

But, personnally I wouldn't suggest anyone to take any kind of drugs or alcohol when they feel bad.

Here's a list a thing to do imo :

Sports : That must be the #1 choice. A sport will change your mind and make you forget about what your problem is and you will feel very good after.

Reading : Same as sport but you won't get the endocrine rush after reading :) .

Camping : Pavlos Idea was good but I think you should remove the LSD part and just enjoy nature.

GL hope things will go better.

I have myself up and downs and I should follow my own advice...time is the problem :(

It can also affect poker for sure :

You have a shit day at work or else where, you get home, play poker, first hand you get aces, YESSS, raise, all in pre, 44 vs AA, 4 on flop. Insta-tilt.
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Yeah, my brief dabble with drugs made things worse long term really... Was good at the time though, lol. And getting drunk several times per week wasn't the best idea either...

I'm getting the right help and that, it's just slow coming.

I'm starting to get a hold of tilts now and a better control of my emotions, I hope the qualities poker teaches me will extend to other areas of my life.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Anybody else occasionally haunted by the "black dog"? I find it affects my play a little and I can more easily get sent on tilt.
      Read The Poker Mindset. There is even a kindle version.