Starting off

• NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      In about 1 weeks time (payday), i will be starting up my bankroll on pokertstars. It will hopefully be $600 and my goal is to by christmas be playing NL100. For this i will be looking at a BR of $2200-$2500.
      I will begin playing NL25, 4 tables with $25 at each playing tight aggressive. Im hoping therefore to take my bankroll from $600 to $2500 in 3 months, working my way through NL25 AND NL50. I'm confident i can do it and am very much looking forward to getting stuck in. Unfortunatly i will be working at the same time so i will most likely be playing 1 x 3 hour session/ evening. Providing i achieve this goal i will be re-evaluating and hoping to move towards NL200 in the new year and beyond. Its my dream to be playing full time and making a solid living at a game which i love. I will update my progress as i go along and any tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated!thanks!
  • 31 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Silver
      sounds like a plan ;) good luck at it sir
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Bronze
      good luck man! we're all rooting for ya, live the dream!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Sounds great man :) My goal is to reach where you're starting off by the new years, NL25 :p
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      So are you playing SH or FR?

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think your goal is realistic. I mean even without having a real job on the side it takes alot of hard work and NO variance to get from NL25 to NL100 in just a few months.

Just don't set your goals to high because you'll get devistated when you fail (which is quite likely). Might aswell just set yourself other goals, and focus focus focus on the improvement of your game rather then anything else.

Wish you the best of luck though!
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      im playing SH. I agree its a big goal but i think its always better aiming high. if it doesnt work il evaluate why, make changes and have another go. im hoping it will work first time but i know in the poker world sometimes it takes alot to started. but im going in full of optomism and ready to take out some fish...just hope the poker gods are with me!
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      2 days to go until i make the big deposit...im going for $600 on partypoker....i was originally going to play pokerstars but i have played there before. going to partypoker means i'll be able to get the 100% first deposit bonus which should help with the BR building early doors. also according to raketherake u get 40% rakeback there so if im putting in a high volume of hands i should benefit from that aswell. all being well i'll play there until i clear the bonus and hopefully bump my BR up a bit and then move to stars most likely. il post an update at the end of every week most likely. i would like to post graphs etc aswell but i dont know how....where can i get the software for this? and could some1 explain to me what the abbreviations on the hud stand for?thanks!
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Bronze
      VPIP = Voluntarily Put Into Pot - how loose or tight someone is - will be a percentage of hamds played

PFR - Pre Flop Raise

AF - Agression Factor

3bet - how many times someone has 3 bet

thats all i know really - dont have a HUD but its what i know from the articles!

Wish u all the best
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      AF is how many times a player is more likely to bet or raise rather than check or call if I remember correctly.

As for 3bet, PT3 and HEM use a percentage, not the number of hands a players has made a 3bet.
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Bronze
      any luck at the tables?
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      OK....so i've made my bankroll deposit. i decided to go for full tilt and put on $500. unfortunatly because i used full tilt previously i can't get rakeback or a deposit bonus so i will be changing sites shortly...i'm looking at europoker because it has a $1200 deposit bonus and vip system so i wont need to sign up to rakeback....can anyone give me information on this room because i havent seen or used it before?
      As for the playing....over the past 3 nights i've been playing 4-6 tables of NL50 on full tilt. I know this is pretty aggressive BR management but i decided t give it a shot and i must say i am shocked at how poor the players are at this level. i wasnt expecting big things but it nothing short of hidious at times...they literally just give their money away! i think i have misplayed a few hands over the 3 nights but i know why i went wrong and obviously taken a few fairly sick beats but all in all a success so far. I've taken my BR from $500 to $850 without any bonuses or rakeback so im quite happy. I estimated ive played about 10,000 hands, probably slightly less so grinding along ok and just ooking to keep it going. i wont even consider moving up a level until my BR is around $4000 (fingers crossed) so alot of work to be done!really enjoying myself at the minute which is the main thing!any info on europoker would be apreciated!thanks. Neil
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      You can get Rakeback (27%) on Full Tilt on an existing account.
      I don't think I'm allowed to post links here... google it.
      Good luck!
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      i had a look to attempt to get rakeback on my existing account but couldnt find anything!ive signed up to almo0st every good site in the past so after withdrawing my roll from FT ive had to settle for mansion poker...went for it because it has a 200% deposit bonus and good v.i.p scheme....I deposited $600 to play nl 50 ...agressive again i know but it doesnt affect my play...and in my first session i finished in the minus unfortunatly but left pretty happy. i played 4 tables and was pretty much card dead all night...3 times i flopped a set and ran into a bigger set which cost me 3 full stacks!but i didn't tilt at all and just kept playing away and only managed to be 1 stack down by the end of it...had KK a cuple of times with the usual donks calling 3 bets pre flop and an ace hitting the board!but happy enough that i managed to ride out a pretty bad wave by sticking to playing welll....my only criticism was that i maybe went into my shell a bit and didnt play as agresive as i shuld have..but not too bad. back on 2nite for another few thousand hands to see if my luck changes around at all!
      im gonna stick to mansion until mid november when i can get back on pokerstars (self-exclusion from my gambling days!) and il hopefully work of the $1200 bonus and be able to cash in good rewards on the vip scheme..(and of course hopefully a bit of profit from playing at the tables!)...
      last questions! : how can i post graphs on here? and how can i register different sites to pokerstrategy?because im missing out on loads and loads of points!

cheers

Neil
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      o.k, 2 weeks down and i suppose im doing ok!ive had a few tilty moments and thrown away a few stacks which has annoyed me greatly so im trying to get that under control. I lost my $600 roll on mansion....i think mainly i comlpetely hated the site and it put me in a bad frame of mind and i tilted,played too high and lost it. saying that im back on full tilt and ive withdrawn any money ive deposited into poker this month so im left with my profit in my full tilt account. It is currently just over $1000 :) after a good session tonight at the rush tables...(plenty of fish!! :s_love: ). I'm happy with what ive done so far although im disapointed at the same time because i think i could have double what i have now if i hadnt of played like a moron a few times! good learning experience i suppose. still kinda annoyed about having no rakeback because i would have been mounting up alot if i had it so il have to wait another cuple of months! apart from that alls well and heres to hoping the bankroll continues growing!
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      $600 in two weeks... because you didn't like the software? I owned a car once I wasn't happy with, so I drove it off a cliff. Seriously though, in your last post you said "I deposited $600 to play NL50... aggressive again I know, but it doesn't affect my play....". You've also admitted to having a problem with gambling in the past.

Small steps sir... go read vonki's post again. A poker "career" is not about winning as much as you can as fast as possible. It's about consistently playing solid and making the right decisions... the reward is in the long term, through hard work and using the knowledge and experience shared on this site.

About rakeback on Full Tilt for existing accounts: rakebackpros.com
      (I apologize if it's against the rules. I'm not affiliated, just helping out.)
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      So are you playing SH or FR?

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think your goal is realistic. I mean even without having a real job on the side it takes alot of hard work and NO variance to get from NL25 to NL100 in just a few months.

Just don't set your goals to high because you'll get devistated when you fail (which is quite likely). Might aswell just set yourself other goals, and focus focus focus on the improvement of your game rather then anything else.

Wish you the best of luck though!
      [Here is the same negativity, I don't know if it's realistic because I can't do it], you can do it mate, i've done it before in half the time, so yes put your mind to it
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      you sir, are nothing but a douchebag!
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Originally posted by ZeMammuth
      [Here is the same negativity, I don't know if it's realistic because I can't do it], you can do it mate, i've done it before in half the time, so yes put your mind to it
      Seriously dude, stfu with the 'negativity' garbage I've seen in a few threads from you. vonki makes good points and from what i've seen is clearly the more experienced player so her points hold some weight.

Almost all poker players think they're better than they are. Ego plays a really, really huge part in poker (why do fishes keep depositing? i'm just getting unlucky, eventually it'll turn around). Sometimes it takes a friendly reminder to keep a player level headed and modest - which leads to greater future results as a result of more study. vonki has been more than kind with her constructive criticism.

Setting goals that are unattainable leads to frustration and tilt when they don't get reached. I'm not saying OP's goal is unattainable, but it's really tough and he has to realize that when setting that - not getting discouraged if he doesnt get there or is still stuck at nl25 in a couple of months.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Stop attacking vonki, there is really no need at all for it. She is a good poker player and is only trying to help other people. If you haven't got anything positive to say then don't post.
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TobyCS
      Stop attacking vonki, there is really no need at all for it. She is a good poker player and is only trying to help other people. If you haven't got anything positive to say then don't post.
      I am sorry, I just have a crush on her, I dunno how to act