SNGs: learning strategy

Bronze
      I have read all the bronze and silver articles, attended some SNG coachings and watched a few videos. Apart from that I have played somewhere around 500 SNGs. Because I have no strategy for improving I thought you might help me out with some key points on what a beginner should focus on when improving his SNG game and how to do it most effectively.

Should I sit for hours in ICM trainer solving push/fold situations?
      Should I grind myself up to gold member status to access more articles?
      Should I simply continue wandering through the forums/coachings/videos casually picking up some knowledge?
  • 7 replies
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      ICM is probably the most important thing - ICM trainer is excellent but I would suggest you try to get a comprehensive understanding of why you would push or fold in any given situation rather than just knowing the correct answer.

Other than ICM I don't think there's a great deal to learn for sng's? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Sorry, forgot to add... SNG Wiz is a must for sng players - I believe there's a 30 day trial for it so you should grab that at the first opportunity. When you use it, make sure you assign a hand range to villain for each situation as this will a) give you correct advice and b) help you fully understand what ranges play well against other ranges etc
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Other than ICM I don't think there's a great deal to learn for sng's? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
      ?( ?( ?(

you should probably spend hours in ICM trainer if your not getting a score close to 97%

The best and quickest way to learn is getting a coach.. But you might not know anyone to coach your and/or you don't feel like paying for coaching...

Watching the videos here helps with basic understanding of how you should play..

And the thing that has probably helped me the most is using the hand analyzing part of the forum for sng players a lot... This helps you get understanding of some tough spots that come up and you can always learn something new..

saying that sng's are only about ICM is stupid.. and I'm not trying to offend you in any way Wurble :)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Just watch all of chenny's, steinek's and pzhon's videos.
      Bronze
      ICM is probably the most important thing - ICM trainer is excellent but I would suggest you try to get a comprehensive understanding of why you would push or fold in any given situation rather than just knowing the correct answer.

This is exactly what I want, but have no idea how to obtain. Sure I get most of the answers correct, but when I don't and sometimes even when I do I am left confused about why the decision is false/correct. ICM trainer doesn't explain that. Who does?
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      Originally posted by Wurble
      ?( ?( ?(

you should probably spend hours in ICM trainer if your not getting a score close to 97%

The best and quickest way to learn is getting a coach.. But you might not know anyone to coach your and/or you don't feel like paying for coaching...

Watching the videos here helps with basic understanding of how you should play..

And the thing that has probably helped me the most is using the hand analyzing part of the forum for sng players a lot... This helps you get understanding of some tough spots that come up and you can always learn something new..

saying that sng's are only about ICM is stupid.. and I'm not trying to offend you in any way Wurble :)
      Meh, I don't claim to be a sng expert. The sentence you quoted was more of a question than a statement :)
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Avatars91

This is exactly what I want, but have no idea how to obtain. Sure I get most of the answers correct, but when I don't and sometimes even when I do I am left confused about why the decision is false/correct. ICM trainer doesn't explain that. Who does?
      Sng wiz will help you with this more than ICM trainer because you assign the ranges that villain will likely call with. After a while going through hand histories you'll get pretty good at assigning ranges for different spots, which will in turn help you fully understand exactly what equity you need in different situations... Then you find out what hands give you that equity and you're pretty much there.