[NL2-NL10] Set on flop, huge raise behind.

• aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Titan No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50/$1.00BB (Titan HH Converter by Kreatief)

MP1 ($99.00)
      MP2 ($168.32)
      MP3 ($35.10)
      CO ($113.75) (Hero)
      Button ($57.65)
      SB ($107.35)
      BB ($49.00)
      UTG+1 ($44.40)
      UTG+2 ($3.29)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7:diamond: , 7:heart:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $4.00, 2 folds, Hero calls $4.00, 1 folds, SB calls $3.50, 1 folds

Flop: 7:club: , 3:diamond: , 8:club: ( $13 )
      SB checks, MP1 bets $11.00, Hero raises to $22.00, SB raises All-In $103.35, 1 folds, Hero ?

No stats. A drawy flop, but the preflop raiser has bet, been raised, and then this all in check/raise comes behind from SB, who completed preflop. What to do?
  • 10 replies
    • rrwillem
      rrwillem
      Bronze
      To me its an insta-call. He probably MP might have an overpair and the SB 2 pair or a big draw representing 2 pair and is underestimating your strength. This is a no-brainer with the 2nd nuts :P
    • Laurenz1988
      Laurenz1988
      Bronze
      Snapcall all in man!! If u ever think bout folding in this spot, stop playing poker! Dont minraise the flop either btw.
    • rrwillem
      rrwillem
      Bronze
      Relax, if im not mistaken he was a fixed limit player untill recently. He knows how to play.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      General comment on your hands : Dont do minraises , they suck , they dont protect your hand (And on a board like this where someone can easily hold a straight or flush draw you want to protect) and you can become readable if they see you make a minraise with very strong hands (it suggests that you dont care about fold equity and just wanna drag your opponent into a larger pot) but make normal 3x+ raises when you hold something weaker.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Thanks for the general feedback. So with a made hand like this, 3x the bet would be the correct raise size here? And call the all in?

I've been playing NL for a few months now, but BSS for only a few weeks. It is a different animal, and you need to have much better hands generally in order to see a showdown. The right way to get there is something I need to do some more work on.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      3x is a decent sized raise , perhaps a little more like 35 or 37$ is ok too. If the board was dry you could maybe call as well, so that the guy behind you gets better odds to stay in the hand, and raise the turn.
      Since you ask about the all-in which is a no brainer call i assume that you lost to set of 8s :D . There is really no way though that you can fold your hand (unless your name is NYCsavage :D ) , you hold the 2nd nuts and he will almost always do that move with a draw or a worse hand than you.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Ahh, Mister Undercover, you are too clever. Yes, he had the overset, and I did instacall. That is why I posted the hand. I'm trying to understand if there is a way to read this situation correctly, and save a stack. But, sounds like this is just acceptable collateral damage. No way to fold second set, even against this check raise of the raiser of the preflop raiser, who had bet almost potsize on the flop?
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      there are a lot of hands he could do this with : overpair, straightdraw and/or flushdraw, 2 pairs, set and you beat most of them, so it's not a bad move to get the money in there. :)

btw. who is NYCsavage? :o
    • mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      I can't see SB having anything but 33 or 88 (except if he's a bad player you don't need to worry about).

And MP1's hand range should be TT+ AJ+ KQs so the only possible draw would be a flush draw from MP1 but I doubt his contibet would be so big in that case.

With that hand ranges your equity is 46% so it's a clear call.

Only makes sense against solid players, against bad ones your equity is alot higher.

(just the maths behind it ;) very nice hand for some thinking :) )
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Great analysis guys!

You don't need me here ;)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81