UTG: $49.25
      UTG+1: $77.41
      Hero (UTG+2): $85.29
      MP1: $49.32
      MP2: $51.30
      CO: $64.65
      BTN: $22.59

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is UTG+2 with Q :diamond: A :spade:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.25, Hero raises to $2.25, 4 folds, SB calls $2, 2 folds

Flop: ($5.25) Q :spade: 8 :diamond: J :club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($5.25) 5 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $4.12, Hero calls $4.12

River: ($13.49) A :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $6.87, Hero calls $6.87

as villian has been playing very agressively (19/10 inf Agg 170 hands) and i had also been raising alot preflop and winning alot of pots on the flop uncontested so i checked back flop to (a) Avoid being checkraised (B) Control pot and (c) bluff induce

By river obviously i have to call but im thinking about my line in general, in this case villian had JJ for a set so if i bet flop i probably lose less or about the same, assumining i call flop 3x raise but fold turn

(If i bet $3 on flop he raises to 9 i lose $9 as opposed to $11 this way)

However i do tend to take this line often with these top pair type hands on these kinda boards when facing aggressive villians who donk every turn if u check the flop and when ive been very active recently as I think it tends to gain more value from bluffs to and avoids nasty situations like getting bluff raised on flop.

Same token I will also elect to just check call 3 streets with overpairs when i feel villian is getting frustrated with me and just callin me IP to try and muscle me out of pots.

Any thoughs of this strategy sometimes?
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      since he limped/called I wouldn´t really give him too much credit if he is going to c/r that board so I think bet/3-bet or bet/call is very fine line there
      you can go for pot control and then call him down but what would you do with your other range, like AK or 55 on that spot
      I think you can´t call him down so I think better is staying aggressive and c-bet unless player really gives you reason not to do that. Then I´d just prefer playing fast my strong hands and taking down my c-bet %
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      what would be the sense in bet/3bet here? what am i trying to achieve by 3betting? surely all i do is fold out worse hands (bluffs/weak aces) and build a bigger pot with a marginal hand against sets?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hackett77
      what would be the sense in bet/3bet here? what am i trying to achieve by 3betting? surely all i do is fold out worse hands (bluffs/weak aces) and build a bigger pot with a marginal hand against sets?
      trust me, aggressive players would play on that board for stacks with QK and weaker hands thinking you´re trying to bluff him out with your draws
      but if you want you can always take b/c line, just then there could come some scary cards and you really don´t know what to do