SSS flop play

• Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      Question on SSS strategy (just started giving it a try since yesterday, after playing about 10.000 hands FR Limit)

I hold JJ pocket pair, I bet 4BB and get 2-3 callers

The board shows something like AKx

According to SSS I should bet here, as I have a made hand on the flop.

Chances of someone holding A or K, thus beating me with a higher pair seem quite high here.
      shouldn't a fold be better here?
  • 4 replies
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      If you have this many callers, and the flop is 2 overcards, you can play check/fold. You are beat almost all the time.
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      Ok,

Yet it seems to me like the beginner's SSS article is really lacking here.

If you just do what is says in this case, you should bet here (often going all in), resulting in losing your entire stack most of the time.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Congratulations on thinking for yourself. Against only one caller, betting would be correct, even then, you may believe yourself beaten, and play check fold, though betting shouldn't be incorrect. The overcards are as much scary for your opponent as they are for you. Maybe more so, because you raised.

Against 2, position would be important, though folding mightn't be wrong.

More than 2, forget it. Poker is littered with weak players who call with any Ace, or even any court card. Against this many, save your money.

Even though JJ is a made hand, once overcards fall, it really isn't necessarily top pair anymore, and therefore, can be regarded as a trash hand, believe it or not. Even KK can be regarded as trash under similar circumstances, ie, when an Ace falls on the flop, and you have opponents, particularly where they bet in to you.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Floating
      According to SSS I should bet here, as I have a made hand on the flop.
      No, you have a trash hand. That is also outlined in the SSS articles:

"A made hand is a hand like two pair or better...Also pairs which consist of one of your cards and the highest community card (top pair) or pairs which are already in your hand and higher than the highest community card (overpair) are in this category. Drawing hands or draws are hands which are not a good made hand yet but can develop to a strong hand if an advantageous community card will be dealt. Draws are for example straights where one card is missing. All hands which are not in the two categories mentioned above count as trash hands."

That's why you should play check/fold here on the flop.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81