FTOPS XVII HU Deal

• 6 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Not long after, the play got to the heads-up phase, and he had a 2.5:1 chip lead.

After a few hands, the two made a deal according to which he would get approximately $447k and his opponent would take around $390k, with $30k more to be given to the winner.
      I'm guessing they agreed a deal based on current chip counts or ICM at the time ;)

Bart
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      There is also a good strategy article on deal making, I'll post it for convenience of all forum members, but it is a Silver status article I'm afraid tpoke.

But to give you a taster, there are 4x common deal types...

> Based on Chip count

> ICM Method

> Post Deal Method

> Seat+Chip Method

Best regards,

Bart
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Thank.. I guess I'm not gonna need that article anytime soon anyway! :D
      At least not that I expect to make a deal anytime soon.

I'm just curious how it works.

This case in particular, when the HU phase started, he had 2.5:1 chip lead and soon after that the deal was made.

I get that it was made on the actual chip count atm.. but the game continued after the deal.. so was only a portion of the total winnings being the subject to the deal?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Yes my friend,

If you read the 2nd paragraph of my quote above, they split the vast majority of remaining prize money, but left $30k which would be taken by the winner.

Most poker platforms insist that you leave some aside for the eventual winner, even if only a token amount, so that this is still something to play for.

Similarly, in satellites, you will often find players split the prize money equally or by chip counts but then play on to win any associated Package or Seat.

At the end of the day, you can deal pretty much however much of the prize you like (subject to the leaving minimum amount rule if applicable), just so long as both/all players involved agree.

Best regards,

Bart

Edit: If you play on Full Tilt, you can practice this in any standard STT sng as they allow deals if all remaining players are willing.
      There are ofc pro's and con's, but it can help to cut down on variance.
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      =)
      ..totally skipped the quote you gave in the first reply... my bad!! ...I should read more carefully :)

Still, I'm glad I asked.. Thanks for your time with me :)

And yes, I'm playing SnGs on FT... one of the reasons I was wondering about deals. Guess I'll try that some day.. :D
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      it's very good practice especially in live tournament. live players have no concept of ICM and just fail at maths, so you can often make very good deals.