PostgreSQL 8.4 & Windows 7

• PS.Markus
      PS.Markus
      Bronze
      Hi Stansilav,

Hi Markus!

Sorry for posting here but I think you should know that PostgreSQL 8.4. not Compability with Windows 7 RUS. :( We(Russian players) simply cann`t install this ver.

Best regards Stanislav

What exactly is the problem here?
      We're already using 8.4 in our development environments on XP and W7 machines without any problems.

Cheers,
      M.
  • 15 replies
    • vpmarat
      vpmarat
      I tried several times to install Postgre 8.4 on Win7RU for many users - no success...
      run installer as admin
      UAC turned off
      secondary logon activated
      no russian symbols in user's name and PC name
      no installed antivirus at all (firewalls too)

every time I did it, there was a hope - and every time was forced to install 8.3.10
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      Today we(ExConfessor & I) dircover problems with installation of PostgreSQL 8.4. & detect the main reason of this problems. This is: cirilic symbol in domain name & in profile path. To solve this problem users should rename PC & create new user without cirilic symbols. After that they should install PostgreSQL 8.4 under new user.
    • PS.Markus
      PS.Markus
      Bronze
      Hi,

thanks for the feedback.

Ah, so we at least know what the issue is. Are the PostgreSQL people aware of this? Maybe they can include a fix in the next version?

The problem for us is, that at some point we have to upgrade to 8.4 or above. PostgreSQL 8.3 does not support windowing functions and they will become necessary once the upcoming statistics engine and the filters become more sophisticated.

Cheers,
      M.
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      PostgreSQL people don`t know about this problem because PostgreSQL 9.0 beta 4 has this bug. :(
    • PS.Markus
      PS.Markus
      Bronze
      Hi Stanislav,

hmm it might be worth a try to get the RU community together and start petitioning the PostgreSQL people to have this changed. This obviously is a PostgreSQL bug.

As mentioned before, at some point we simply have no choice but to upgrade above 8.3.

Cheers,
      M.
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      Hi again.
      I finally find solution for this issue. It was so easy. If you install PostgreSQL on C:\PostgreSQL then installation will be finished successfully.
      So now you can use PostgreSQL 8.4.x & 9.x ;) Aslo you could change installation path for PostgreSQL from C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL to C:\PostgreSQL
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      Additional info: the folder C:\PostgreSQL should be created manually or via Elephant installation. The PostgrSQL installer can`t create this folder correctly & you get following error message:

"Problem running post-install step.Installation may not complete correctly
      Error reading file C:/PostgreSQL/postgresql.conf
      "
    • PS.Markus
      PS.Markus
      Bronze
      Hi stanisluv,

Thanks for investigating.

We'll keep that in mind, when we'll update to the latest PostgreSQL version.

Still, have you guys filed a bug report with PostgreSQL? This still is a PostgreSQL bug and ought to be fixed by the PostgreSQL people. Afterall they'd probably just need to switch their path handling from ASCII to Unicode.

Cheers,
      M.
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      Hi PS.Markus,

Thx for answer.
      If you talk about error "Error reading file C:/PostgreSQL/postgresql.conf" then this is happens because PostgreSQL installer has problems with NTFS-permissions into NT 6.x(I think so). ;)
    • negozin
      negozin
      Bronze
      Hi Markus,
      I'm trying to add you as friend here at ps community for a long time, because I would like to exchange some ideas about QA.

could you kindly accept my friend invitation?

[]s
      jc
    • Larres
      Larres
      Bronze
      Hi negozin,

I'm in charge of the QA. If you want to feel free to add me to your friends/contacts list as well.

Cheers,
      L
    • negozin
      negozin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Larres
      Hi negozin,

I'm in charge of the QA. If you want to feel free to add me to your friends/contacts list as well.

Cheers,
      L
      exactly,
      I noticed that and that's why I added you, as soon as I read your post telling about QA a long time ago.
      I already opened a bug report telling the support about one bug related to mine "add friends" feature.
      A lot of people never received my invitation...
      and right now, I can't invite anyone else.
      this is a sick bug, that is screwing my relationship with people that I invited on the TAF program.
      here is also a topic, where I'm complaining about this in Portuguese:
      http://pt.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=51510&hilight=amigo&hilightuser=negozin
      the moderators said, this issue probably isn't a priority for the IT team.

Sorry for doing this off-topic comments on this thread and tks for the quickly feedback.

regards,
      jc
      ps: in December 2010, I was at Gibraltar doing one interview to work as CM for the Portuguese Community, and on January of 2011, I did one interview by phone with Philip QA's manager at Gibraltar...
      But unfortunately, I failed on both. =(
      It seems my profile was noticed much more as a technician than a functional analyst.
    • Larres
      Larres
      Bronze
      @negozin: I just send you an invite. Whats you point in QA?

Cheers,
      L
    • negozin
      negozin
      Bronze
      Hi Larres,
      invitation accepted.
      tks again, for the quickly response.

Right now,
      that I got a new job...
      I don't have much time to take a deep look on Elephant or keep going with my concerns...

But,
      It's always good to be close to QA.

negozin over
      :s_grin:
    • PS.Markus
      PS.Markus
      Bronze
      Hi negozin,

I'm sorry, but I haven't received any kind of community invite.

Still, the best way to get in touch with us is this forum, as it's monitored on a daily basis (work days, that is).
      Again, sorry that it didn't work out with the community feature.

Cheers,
      M.