[NL2-NL10] NL10 How to get a way with a big overpair??

• yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      After reading several hands in the hand evaluation forum where players suggest snap fold overpairs, I realize that I played way too stubborn and with partial information with overpairs. An overpair is a good hand but hard to improve and with the community cards it should never guarantee going broke with.

Here are 3 hands I played today with an overpair. Well some may just be coolers but other I might be able to get away with (in 1 of which I did).

Hand #1
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $17.10
      BU:
      $8.37
      SB (Hero):
      $10.55
      BB:
      $10.00
      MP3:
      $9.70

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q.
      2 folds, BU raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1.00, BB folds, BU calls $0.70.

Flop: ($2.1) T, 4, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, BU raises to $2.80, Hero raises to $9.55, BU calls $4.57.

Turn: ($19.02) 9 (2 players)

River: ($19.02) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $19.02.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, queens and tens(Q Q).
      BU shows two pairs, aces and tens(A A).

BU wins with two pairs, aces and tens(A A).

Villain flats my 3 bet IP and I am pretty sure I am ahead. I cbet on dry rainbow board and villain raises!

Now I think the best way to play might be call raise then bet/fold river. Villain raises the flop so quick which indicates a set or JJ+, and I can only beat JJ.
      -----------------------------
      Hand #2

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $19.45
      MP3:
      $13.03
      CO:
      $18.46
      BU (Hero):
      $11.77
      SB:
      $10.07
      BB:
      $10.10

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, K.
      MP2 raises to $0.40, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.40, Hero raises to $1.50, 2 folds, MP2 calls $1.10, CO folds.

Flop: ($3.55) 9, Q, 7 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $2.60, MP2 raises to $17.95(All-In), Hero calls $7.67(All-In).

Turn: ($31.77) 4 (2 players)

River: ($31.77) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $31.77.
      Results follow:

MP2 shows three of a kind, queens(Q Q).
      Hero shows a pair of kings(K K).

MP2 wins with three of a kind, queens(Q Q).

Villain stats over 400+ hands: VPIP/PFR/3b/AF = 17/13/3.1/3.1

I don't think I can get away with this one. Villain OR UTG indicating strength, gets a caller, and I 3bet big IP he flats. My stack was slightly but not that deep.

Then he check/raise me AI on a draw-heavy board. I don't remember seeing villain doing this with TPTK or FD or monster draw but his AF certainly says these are possible. So I just call tho I was quite suspicious there.

Should I be suspicious enough to a ch-raise here? I personally would not ch-raise a top set here because ch-raise is no better than donk bet. But it seems when a lot of players at NL10 use ch-raise it usually is a monster. So maybe I should pay special attention to ch-raise?
      Hand #3

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $8.34
      SB:
      $20.19
      BB:
      $13.52
      MP3 (Hero):
      $10.44

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      Hero raises to $0.30, CO folds, BU calls $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.95) 4, 5, T (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BU calls $0.70, BB raises to $3.00, Hero folds, BU calls $2.30.

Turn: ($7.65) 9 (2 players)
      BB bets $4.50, BU calls $4.50.

River: ($16.65) A (2 players)
      BB bets $5.72, BU calls $0.54.

Final Pot: $22.91.
      Results follow:

BU shows high card ace(K 7).
      BB shows three of a kind, fives(5 5).

BB wins with three of a kind, fives(5 5).

BB's stats were 10/8/0/ VPIP/PFR/3b.

Thank to 1) BB's ch-raise on the flop, 2) BB's stats, and 3) the BU I was able to get out cheap (surprisingly) from this multiway pot. I put BB on a set. Could have been a disaster.

NOW if this had not been a multi-way pot, then shall I do the same thing and fold or shall I resist further?
      In general I would like to ask ppl's opinions on how to get away with a big overpair (say QQ/KK) without being too weak in the long run. I myself have plenty of experiences getting value from overpairs with set and I really want to make it an advantage for me to get away when I am behind and to keep villains in when I am ahead.

Any thoughts?
  • 1 reply
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      1) nh. I think he is either bluffing sometimes or maybe raising with Jj for value
      Anyway I wouldn´t fold there as strong hand as QQ
      2) same principle. Since I believe he can c/rai with all the draws and worse hands I´d happy to b/c there with kings
      3) 3-way don´t get expect to get blown off my hand that often so I think b/f there is fine. He has there set quite often or some draw that has enough equity against your hand